1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3 actuators in 2 days

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rooferdave, Feb 27, 2010.

1. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

lost 4x4 on Monday put it in shop and they said actuator ($400) also t-case bushing was shot as they did not change that when they rebuilt the t-case 2 snows ago (100)

anyhow I get it out and it lasts 12 hours and again lose 4x4 bring it back and actuator again. they replace and this one goes while in the shop, the 4th one is in and they tell me
    there is a wire on the actuator circuit that has loaded the circuit up to 30 amps where it should be 5 amps and the actator is the weak link, now it is in at $90/hour till they find the prob or no warrenty on the actuator (fair enough) how many hours is unknown. Any one here have any ideas?

2003 2500HD 6 litre, extend cab 9 ft western straight blade, unimount brake control for trailer, everthing else is factory inc radio

plow was acting up for last while wiggling 9/12 pin plug solved it as well as frequent cleaning, first actuator wentapprox 6 hrs before main plow prob occured.

Plow problem, stopped working and found joystick fuse blown, replaced the 5 amp with only fuse I had (20 amp:mad:) on way to next site I heard plow motor running and when I go out the 2 pin connection was melted and when I unplugged it (consistency of plastercine) disintergrated.

As I started dissconnecting plow to get t-case looked at, the 12 pin plow side and there was a small flame, put it out and unplugged

get the truck out of shop at 7 p.m. and now have to get plow working, keeping in mind I have a major snow starting any minute here in Toronto, I cut the melted plug off truck split the neg/pos sides and connect them with battery teminal connectors and isolate frpm frame with zip ties and a piece of one of my signs to the plastic grill. I now hard wire plow.

My plow side 9 in is too fried to use so I decide to hardwire and when I start to check wire colors before cutting I find that after 3 seasons my blade is a 9 pin and the truck is a 12 pin!! (explains some light mysteries the repair shop could no solve)

I have a spare 12 pin plow so I hook it up and no left movement, run a bunch of tests on s2 etc drop the back up blade and install the burnt 9 footer and start to hardwire, cut 2 wires on the truckside I think are for left and same problem (no left)(more time I do not have as snow has start for an hour now) idiot should have checked joystick first :mad:. yep it is done, thank fully I have a spare joystick Drop my 9 foot blade and install the 8 ft back , solder 2 wires up which I cut off the newly dicovered 12 pin truck, at last I am back on the road,

sorry for all the detail but I want you all to have the story as the more info the better I think

what could be killing the actuator? Or am I getting snowed?

p.s .they also changed my front diff for the first 4x4 issue, (banging) and when that did not fix they changed the t case and my woes started
  2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Sorry to hear about all your problems. You might have melted your wiring somewhere and now it is shorting out.
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Sounds like you might need to start looking for a new shop. 4 actuators!?! And not untill the 4th one do they find an electrical problem? I would think after the first one went is when eyebrows sould have been raised...wow... Sounds like that there is a wiring issue, and well, does need further diag. There could be corrosion up in the wiring that is adding resistance to the motor and is requesting more amps. Depending on the severity of the corrosion, the wiring to a certain point can be repaired.
  4. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

What does'nt kill you makes you stronger! I always use times like this to adjust my pricing and what, in fact people are paying for. Also Iearn more about my plows and truck and can apply lessons learned to my next experience. Also there is learning what a great community we have here on plowsite and in our industry.

I will keep you posted on developments

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

sorry to hear about that Dave, give me a call in the future if you are really stuck. My route is pretty short and if nothing goes wrong with my guys I can always try and give you a hand.
  6. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

thanks Jon, much appreciated:mechanic:
  7. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

after another $152 it wasa the actuator switch
  8. turf&snow98

turf&snow98 Junior Member

I had this problem with my old k2500, first it was the actuator ( encoder motor ), then it was the dash board pushbutton switch, then it was the control module..... I got rid of the truck and got an 02 k2500hd, it has a floor mounted 4x4 lever (yes they still exist)..... It works nice= I pull the lever, it goes in to 4x4 like it should..... I dont know why they ever went to that pushbutton system, like its so freaking hard to pull a lever 18" away from where your sitting, lol.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That is called Laziness. Everyone seems to have a case of it lately.
  10. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

my 03 in question has the floor shifter, I have never seen a pushbutton, had to change the seal in the t-case yesterday (leaking) will see how it goes now, due to the fact this truck has not made it through 1 event this year I need a 3rd plow truck ad am afrid to say I have crossed to the "dark side" yes I bought a ford
  11. derekbroerse

Truely sorry to hear that.... :cry:

12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Forgive him for he knew not what he did !!!!!!
  13. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

aaarrrrghhhhh! after changing the bushing on feb 27 t-case still leaked, so 2nd seal put in on about mar-7th, leaking again I just noticed, brought it back in today and now I need a new yoke I believe they say, as the bad bushing burred the shaft "sigh" another $300.00 parts.
  14. derekbroerse

As stated by someone before, you need a new mechanic. If the yoke was at all questionable it should have had any burrs removed with emory cloth before being reinstalled. And if the seal has worn a groove in it, they should have caught it the first time. Check around a little at a seal supplier with the part number of your stock seal. There may be an aftermarket piece that sits the seal lip a little further back on your yoke rather than having to replace it. They make them for axle shafts, they make them for harmonic balancers, I don't see why it couldn't exist for a tranny output shaft!
  15. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

do not know if it is related but now my "trailer mode" does not work, after 5 grand of work I am starting to get really pissed, and my truck pisses out tranny fluid, out of words now. wish I could f@$k up a roof that bad and still charge the sucker (oops) client
  16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

pissing out tranny fluid is never good\:realmad:
    mine had a bad gasket..cheap fix
  17. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

You can! I see lots of guys do it all the time with slate roofs.

Like Derek said you need a new mechanic.

BTW I think I paid like $175 for my output shaft
  18. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

thanks for the tip! I am going to look into this as soon as I get back from niagra with the kids.
  19. rooferdave

rooferdave Senior Member

Hey! I do slate roofs! You have a lot of slate where you are? Most people do not even know what a slate roof is.
  20. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Do you do them right ?
    We have a lot of slate where I live but less of it every day. I see prefectly good roofs with 100 years left in them thrown away because some "roofer" told them it was time to replace it or just didn't know how to fix it