1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3.73 vs 4.1 rear axle ratio

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pnoone, Dec 26, 2014.

1. pnoone

pnoone Member

Hey all. I'm in the market for a new 3/4 ton I'll use for some tree work and to test the waters in the snow removal game. Looking to put a 8.5' V on it and wondering about rear axle ratio. My preference is a Dodge Ram 2500 (2006 or 2007 based on what I want to spend) and I want the 4.1 rear axle ratio as I expect to be hauling a skid steer in the next few months and want the additional towing capacity. Has anyone found that the added low range torque of the 4.1 makes an appreciable difference for plowing?
  2. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

I am new but most of these plow guys want top speed more than hole shot. They lose traction before they need more power or lower gears. Seems 3.42 gives them a good top end speed of about 145mph.
  3. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 4.10 gears in my f350, its the best for plowing. Since you tow 4.10 would be a better pick. You lose mpg but it would be a good choice.
  4. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

3.73 are fine for plowing, deff. Don`t need 4.10 for that. To haul a skid steer the 3.73 will do that too. Just going from site to site you don`t need the 4.10`s. Buying used your not going to have the choice like ordering new. Buy the best truck for the buck. Both rears will get the job done. Good luck.
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

It depends what you are buying as far as a motor more then anything Gas might need the 4.10 diesel 3.73

If its manual you want high gears

3.73 in gas is a dog but sure has good mpg If you have spare time to get somewhere it will do the job on pulling
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I've got 3.55 and push with no problems.
  7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Get some 4.30's and come pull houses down with me. Of course you'll have to stay under 65 to keep from running over the connecting rods. Lol
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 5.7 liter and 4;10 rears are an awesome combo. I'm on my third (05, 11, 14) and it is a nice balance. It makes a big difference when you've pushing a 9 foot of blade's worth of snow and hauling a loaded spreader. Traction's never an issue but then I run real winter tires and keep at least 1200/1500lbs in the hooper.

With the 4/6/8 in the 14 cruise control set on 65 and hauling a ton in the bed it'll still give me 17/20mpg on the highway. I saw 21+mpg running 100+ miles at 70 empty, get around 12 in town (I have a heavy foot) not bad for a truck with 4:10s
  9. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

A+. Buying a seven or eight year old truck within whatever your budget is, you're not going to have a lot of options as far as running gear goes. Find a good clean truck with either and you'll be fine.
  10. billythekid

billythekid Junior Member

4.10s in both of my trucks.
  11. pnoone

pnoone Member

Yeah, I don't see laying out an extra $20k for a new truck that will immediately depreciate and that will take a beating between plowing and tree work. But like y'all mentioned the used inventory with a 4.10 rear is seriously limited. Thinking I'll go with the 3.73 and if I need them put in taller gears later. Appreciate the insight.
  12. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

You mean shorter gears.
  13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Higher the number The lower the gear is
    Lower the number higher the gear is
  14. pnoone

pnoone Member

Indeed I do.
  15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

How much does it cost to switch gears approximately?
  16. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Single axle, not including parts, most drivetrain shops charge $3-500 per axle. Also may need new bearings/seals while you are in there. If there is a carrier break in the gearing you will need a new carrier as well.
  17. pnoone

pnoone Member

A local transmission shop in MD gave me a ballpark quote today of $2000-2500 to regear both axles on a Ram 2500. Including a new carrier.
  18. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Can always do it for the cost of parts :)

19. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

Find your truck first and see how it plows/tows and then worry about gearing if you're not happy with it. A lot of the time a 3/4 ton will work fine for normal needs.
  20. pnoone

pnoone Member

Niiiiice!! Sprag-O, how many six packs would it take to get you down to MD to show me how to put shorter gears in?