1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3.73 Axle Options

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Trike1, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Trike1

Trike1 Junior Member
    from wis

Hey Guys,

Just made a deal on a new 09 F250. It has the 5.4 with 3.73 axle. My concern is that this truck does not have the limited slip axle. It is a regular open design.

Anyone plow with these or experience the difference between the two.
    I am sure I am going to regret the regular axle. Any ideas on aftermarket locking devices?

Thanks

2. zman300

zman300 Member

Detroit lockers are good.

3. Trike1

Trike1 Junior Member
    from wis

Any problems with them freezing up or sticking?

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Limited slip is garbage. They don't have grip. Like 1 side is ice and 1 side is dry pavement. Where it go to ice side instead pavement. They don't last long enough.

locker would be huge improve.

3.73 with 5.4L good lucky. It would be better if it have 4.10

5. cvwhr

cvwhr Member

3.73 gears are junk but a set of4.10s will set yuo back around 3 to 4 K may not be an option put a set of warns on about 300.00payup

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

3 - 4 K for a gear swap? Is that what you pay or charge? How do warns improve traction?

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

your closer to 2k for a gear change...plan on a 1000 an axle. remember u have to do front and rear differentials. but to the original point!

3.73s is bad enough.. yes the LS is junk, but id rather have the LS than have the open axle! as long as its 4wd you'll be just fine!

8. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

My buddy just put a True Trac in his 250. Its a 03 with 3,73 and wow it was open before lost the pinion seal and just decided to upgrade. The total investment was like 725.ish but man posi every time. My 05 has 3.73ls and man its not like my 03 F-150 7700 3.73ls. My new truck is weird but i have it figured out the tire that slips spins like a son of a b,and the other tire does like this intermittent grab i really cant explain it, On gravel roads and i floor it at a dead stop it'll kick out to the right and i can drift it like posi on snow or clay roads but like milwaukee said on ice its weird one spins and the other just barely grabs. But it works so I wont get the True Trac untill i have to get in the pig.