1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3.4 v6

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tj11969, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tj11969

tj11969 Junior Member
    from pa

looking at buying a 2014 chevy Silverado with a 4.3 v6 285hp wanna put my snow plow on it but not sure if the 4.3 is enough power to plow snow with can any one give me some suggestions

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

You will be fine.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

X2 I plowed for 4 years, torque ratings are almost the same as the v8 on older models anyway, you'll run out of traction well before you run out of power

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Power is overrated for plowing. That is what the diesel freaks don't understand... tires will slip long before you run out of power.

For comparison, for years there was a carbureted 305 in one of my 7200lb K35 dually trucks. Plowed great, hated long uphills though! That engine was 150hp when it was new, probably more like 120 by the time we pulled it out... one completely dead cylinder, no compression...

The V6 you are talking about has almost twice the power of that old 305, and the truck will weigh half as much.

Don't think it will be an issue if you don't abuse it too much.

5. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

My brother just bought a 2014 Silverado LT with the 4.3L, to my surprise it had a lot of power. I would go for it.

6. tj11969

tj11969 Junior Member
    from pa

hey thanks a lot I don't plow for a living just some driveway and help out a buddy when its really bad I just wasn't sure on how it would work out

7. tj11969

tj11969 Junior Member
    from pa

thanks were gonna give a shot and see I don't plow for a living just some driveway and help out a buddy from time to time just wasn't sure how it would wrk out

8. tj11969

tj11969 Junior Member
    from pa

thanks alot

9. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

Just don't go to light duty on the plow, I got a 7'6'' Fisher SD on mine, all these half tons out there can handle this weight plow or even 100lbs heavier no problem. I wish I got a Fisher HD instead, but the SD is still a great plow

10. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

On stock suspension of course, anything heavier think about beefing up the front end

11. tj11969

tj11969 Junior Member
    from pa

thanks I have a snow way 7' 6 in plow its not real heavy still im gonna put some timbrens under the truck do you ave any other suggestions to beef up front end that's not real expensive to do?

12. tj11969

tj11969 Junior Member
    from pa

Thanks a lot

13. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I would go for a leveling/lift kit. Bilstein has an adjustable leveling kit where you can get up to 2.5'' of front end lift. They are not that expensive either. You can probably get them for under $200, and maybe a differential drop, just to be on the safe side. Timbrens are just an oversized bump stop, they do the job but a leveling kit, like bilstein, will actually improve the ride quality when your truck is unloaded, and with the plow on.

14. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I'm sure you have more than enough. You'll run out of traction long before you run out of power. But just for argument's sake, what is the torque rating on that engine? Because YOU DO REALIZE, that torque pushes snow, not horsepower, right?

15. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I think the hp and torque specs are 295hp and 305ft lbs