1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 ton with loaded salter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowman91, Oct 22, 2008.

1. any pics of 3/4 ton trucks with loaded salters with out timbrens? im trying to decide if i should get timbrens or sumthing in the back because im putting about a 1.5yard poly salter in but not sure how much the truck will drop in the back

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I know a guy who has a 1.5 yard in the back of a one ton, and he needs airbags to haul a full salter without serious sagging.

Cheers

3. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

really need something... especially if you go out to salt with out the plow... front end will be really high. and affect the steering and braking

4. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

HERES A 1995 3/4 TON CHEVY WITH A 2 YD SWENSON & MY 1985 3/4 WITH 4000LBS OF BAGGED AND AND A TAILGATE SPREADER. I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH EITHER SAGS A BIT WHEN LOADED BUT NOT A CONCERN BEEN RUNNING BOTH TRUCKS LIKE THIS FOR YEARS:drinkup:

Photo0007.jpg

100_0121.jpg

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We have an '01 I think it is Chevy 2500HD that we had a stainless steel V Box in, the bed of the truck is now bowed, and the tailgate doesnt fit on it anymore. I'm sure we overloaded it many times but of course thats just what happens.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A 2 yard spreader is fine as long as you don't put boards on it.

7. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Go uy yourself a set of airbags for the rear. Its money well spent. Truck sits nice and level with them.

Regards Mike

8. do you think air bags are better than 6,000lbs timbrens?

9. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

My standard cab long bed 2500hd is fine with 4000lbs in the bed, its all about how its loaded.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have the firestone 5000# HD Airbags on the rear of my 2004 2500HD Silverado and they work great......Plus you will get a better ride then the timbrens and you can adjust them to each application. Work great for me..

11. nicksplowing

IS THERE A RULE THAT SAYS THE TRUCK IS SUPPOSED TO SIT LEVEL :confused:I SEE BRAND NEW FORDS & CHEVYS THAT SAG IN THE FRONT WITH NOTHING ON THEM :rolleyes:

12. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

maybe not a rule, personally i think that the trucks look better and handle alot better when they sit level or slightly leaning to the front

13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

exactly, as long as your not over your payload its fine, these trucks ride a lot better with weight in them :D add up the weight of the salt, then the weight of your spreader and see what your total is then check it with the max payload for the bed of the truck, not too difficult :confused:

14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Are you sure he has a 1 ton? I have a couple 3500's and a 3500HD. They all have 2 yard sanders with 10" sides and no suspension upgrades and no sagging.

15. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

A truck that sit's level with no sag, is less likely to be pulled over, and taken to a weigh scale to check for being overloaded.

When it comes to our Gm trucks and ones that carry a good weight, we beef up the back end with extra leaf springs. Yes it has it's good and bad, but it works.

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We usually put one or two extra leafs springs on the rear axle

17. nicksplowing

I MYSELF DO THE SAME 2 EXTRA LEAFS ON THE REAR AXLE BUT WHEN LOADED THEY STILL SAG JUST NOT AS MUCH AND AS FAR SCALES GO THE COPS ARE PARKED AT THE DISTRICTS WATCHING TV :rolleyes:WHEN IT SNOWS HERE IN PHILLY:drinkup:

18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Our beds got bowed badly too-solution is to run a 2x6 or 4x4 laying flat along the length of the bed (from front to back) on either side of the salter and bolt salter down onto it, then strap down all 4 corners. Not only does this distribute the salters weight along the cross members that run across the bed (from side to side), but also allows you to easily position the salter back onto the truck when you put it on. We sometimes take the salters off during the winter to plow easier, and it takes 1 guy 10 minutes to put them back on without having to mess with aligning them.

19. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Absolutely. Get the in cab control option with guage. Well worth their money.

20. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes I do, the air bags you can adjust the air pressure, with the load that you are carrying. I would not even think twice about this debate. hands down its air bags.

Regards Mike