1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 Ton Pick Up 1 yard, 1.6 yard, 2 yard?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fms, Nov 8, 2005.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm new to the site.

What size spreaders are you using in your 3/4 ton pick up short bed?

With airbags or Timbrens how much additional weight are you able to haul?

If applicable; how much weight were you carrying when you broke your truck?

I know what my manual says about payload capacity, but I'm curious about what people have been able to manage... and my manual doesn't say anything about airbags.

Thanks in advance for any info.
  2. JJ's Services

JJ's Services Junior Member

I have an F250 with 5,000 pound airbags under it. I load and unload my hydroseeder out of it every day 500 gallon seeder and 1100 pound empty weight. I figure it loaded to be around 5100 pounds. With the airbags I have no problems with the truck squating. My only concern is the E load range tires still push out a little. But have not blown a tire yet in 2 years.
  3. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

For an F250 I would stick to the 1.0 yard capacity. Your pushing it especially if you still have your plow on on your fully loaded. Get into an accident with it then it could be a liability issue with being overloaded. Anything with under 10000 GVW stay with 1.5 cy hopper or less. 15000gvw can handle a 2yd hopper and plow. Let's hope we all get slammed with snow and ice this year.
  4. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

SnowEx makes a spreader called a VPro 6000 for short bed trucks. This is a 1 yard box and your truck should not have a problem with it. I use it it on a F250 and it works great.
  5. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the info.
    I looked at the SnowEx and was nearly on my way to pick one up when I found this site. I read enough negative information about SnowEx that I've purchased a 1.6 yard ss Downeaster.
    I'm going to install airbags and only fill the spreader with 1 yard of salt to begin with.
    I didn't want to go with a smaller spreader than the 1.6 yard because I'll hopefully have a dump truck by next season and the spreader will be transfered to it.
  6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We wouldn't go over a yard in a 3/4-Ton... :nono:
  7. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

I Have A Dodge 2500 Quad Cab With A 2 Yd. Stainless Diamond Sander And Put A Set Of Timbrens In The Rear And You Dont Even Kno The Sander Is There When Its Dry. I Can Hit 2 Yards Full But Dont Recommend Traveling To Far. We Keep Sand/salt On Property So Travel Isnt An Issue For Us.
  8. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

Sorry to hear about the bad press about SnowEx. They did have some issues with a the VPRO MODEL when it first came out but I believe they have got the bugs worked out now. I have not had any trouble out of the four I have.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

1 yard is good you will end up heaping it and it can still be more if needed---than 1 yard
  10. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I'm running an '05 F250 with the SnowEx 8000 which is supposedly 1.5 yards... we'll see what happens... The only difference between the '05 F250 and F350 that I have is a two inch block v. a four inch block and longer shocks on the F350. The extra GVW you pick up is from Ford saying it takes longer for the truck to level out from the weight. I say it's the same thing, but legally i'm still overweight i believe with the SnowEx 8000 loaded.

ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C. Junior Member
    from NH

i am looking into buying a sander. i have an 05' gmc 2500hd and a 1997 1500 gmc. both short beds. 05 ex-cab. can i put a sander in the back of my 97'? i have seen a lesco sander that is made of plastic and weighs 466lbs dry. i would rather put sander in 1997 instead of 2005. just curious what i could get away with? thanks
  12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have laoded my F350's to over 18,000 and they are still running after 13 years and nothing has broken. Now I know it is aginst the law and I do not advise it to anyone else.
    To put it perfict simple, no mater how many airbags, springs, spring assisted shocks, heaver rated tires, reinforced frames, helium filled baloons, or light haired pasengers you add to your truck you can not go over the posted weight on the door sticker. everyone asked the smae question every year, and it is the same answer. unless you find a way to legaly change the printed GVW on the door sticker then that is it. We all know we can carry more but not legaly.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  13. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Dude, look out.... A helicopter has landed on your truck.

And it has no propeller!

That is something you don't see every day.
  14. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

ace buy the buyers salt dogg made of polyurathene and stainless steel 400lbs great for san/salt mix or straight salt.
  15. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

putting a 8' spreader in a short bed is risky. they make 6.5' spreader for a reason. Sno-way and Ice-o-way make them. I know you can get a sno-way stainless 6.5' electric for like $2700 cash and carry.
    And for the people talking about overloading and thinking airbags will solve the problem, I would love to hear your reasoning to the dealership on why you SNAPED A AXEL!!! :nono: Your increasing your spring cap. not axel
  16. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We had a W-250 Dodge with a 1.6 YD spreader on it that we used to fill over the top. After 2 years we broke the frame. It's simply too much weight. Sure, you might be OK for a while, but something will give.