1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 ton or 1 ton?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gamfa, Sep 13, 2003.

1. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

I'm trying to determine the class of the running gear on my truck. The frame has an 8" web and 3" flange but tapers down above the rear axle. The rear springs are 2.5" wide and there are 9 leaves plus an overload. The front axle has 3 springs which are 3" wide. Is this a 3/4 ton or 1 ton?

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Are you interested in knowing what axles? What year is the truck, is it a crew cab, ex-cab or cab and chassis?

3. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

Its got a dana 44 front axle, 14 bolt dually rear, standard cab. It's a truck built from parts and I'm trying to determine what the frame and spring setup is and what the weight rating for the truck might be.

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

If I remember correctly the only trucks to use a taller frame were the crew cab,s and the cab and chassis. The other frames would apear to be the same but thickness would be diff.
    It is hard to tell with out seeing and even that may not help.
    It sounds like the truck is a 3/4 ton and the rear axle and springs were swapped into it. Does the front axle have the dually spacer?

5. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

If you mean the spacer to mount Budd rims I would say no since it has a standard 8 bolt wheel on the front but then I have not had any of the wheels off.

6. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

Went out and had a good look at the front end and it appears that it has king pins at the steering knuckles instead of ball joints. Would that be a 1 ton or 3/4 ton front axle?

By the way, I forgot to say that I believe the chassis to be 82' vintage and has a 6.2L diesel engine.

I came across a post by 75 back in 2001 about an 84' and he said the 3/4 ton frame was 6" deep and the 1 ton 8". Maybe he will respond?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The easiest way to see if it's a dana 60, 1 ton axle, is the passenger side will have one u-bolt and two bolts that thread into the housing.

8. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

I assime you are talking about the method of attaching the axle to the springs. In that case this truck has 2 u-bolts each side. The passenger has one around the axle tube and the other goes around the housing after the tube enters. So this is a 3/4 ton chassis?

9. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I bet it's a dana 44 or even a 10 bolt GM, pretty much a 44 anyways.
    All that says though is it's a 3/4 ton front axle. It says nothing about the frame though. If you assume it's a 8600lb 3/4 ton you should be fine.

10. gamfa

gamfa Junior Member

Thanks....