1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 ton Chevy to 1 ton dually

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KENNY V, Mar 21, 2002.

1. KENNY V

KENNY V Junior Member
    from N.C.

I have a 1984 3/4 ton Chevy I would like to make it a dually. It has the big 14 bolt 10.5 rear end . Iwas told all i have to do is change the brake drums.Can anyone give me any info on this ? Thanks

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I think there may be a little more to it than that - because the hub/drum assembly comes off as a unit, and the dually hubs stick out farther than the SRW ones meaning the axleshafts will be a different length. (Being a full-floater axle the hubs don't just slide off the wheel studs, rather the hub and drum are a complete assembly held onto the spindle by a locknut. On the full-floater axle the shaft only transmits power, the axle tube carries all the weight)

My '75 was orginanlly built as an SRW 1-ton, I put the duallies on it by swapping in a complete rear axle. IMO that's your better plan if you intend to go that route.

Remember too that the 3/4-ton frame is quite a bit different than the 1-ton unit: rear shocks mount outboard on the 3/4, inboard on the 1-ton, and the 3/4 ton frame is lighter - the frame channel is 6" deep as opposed to 8" on the 1-ton.

So unless the duallies are for "looks" I don't really see any benefit to having them on a 3/4 ton.

3. dany

dany Member

About five years ago my father wanted to put dulies on his 86 3/4 ton and the only realistic option would have been to swap the whole axle for a 3/4 ton axle with smaller brakes or to go to a one ton rearend. He decided to leave it alone since it was impossible to find a good rearend with the small brakes and the same gear ratio.

4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Unless just for looks don't waste your time or money. I bought a srw truck that had been converted(at the time I didn't realize it, was young)to a duelly with a dump box. Gvw was 9,000, went to quary one day to pick up stone, empty truck weighed 7,800. I was always overweight, no matter how much I didn't want to be.
    Luckily I never got stopped. If a screening plant didn't listen, I was in deep, one guy loaded it so heavy the hitch was only like 4" off the ground. Hope this helps. Oh & stopping wasn't to much fun, even though all brakes were new & properly adjusted.