1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 ton 4x4 up graded to 1 ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cat320, Feb 19, 2003.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I had always woundered with the older chevy models when you upgrade from a 3/4 to a 1 ton.I have seen some around but woundered about frame strength and converting into a duel wheel dump?Is it as strong as an original bought new or are the frame stregth different and you just are getting a weaker truck.

2. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

From my understandings and comparison from what I have seen...converting a 3/4 ton to one ton is just a matter of swapping in the d60 front.....however as you mentioned frame strength is not near the same.... A 3/4 frame is the same as a 1/2ton frame....so I guess other than axle strength and brakes, you are still dealing with the frame issues of a 1/2 ton such as the steering box frame cracks... If you ever get a chance to look at a c/k3500 next to a c/k2500 the extra beef is quite noticable....:nod:

3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

I don't know about frame strenth but are you talking Light 3/4 or heavy.(7000?GVW or 8600) I would think 8600 would be comaprable to 1 ton SRW. I know I had an 85 with full float rear ect.(8600 Gvw), but my brother 2500(1992) had"half ton brakes"), I was told by parts guy?
    I had a F350 SRW that had been converted to a duelly dump, handeled the weight OK, drive train sucked though, no power when loaded, but truck empty weight around 7900 lbs, GVW was 9000. I was young & dumb when I bought it, & it was one of the poorest business decisions I have made, didn't realize it had been converted.
    I personally don't think I would ever buy a used 1 ton dump again, most have been worked very hard. Think about it if myine weighed 7900 lbs(w/diesel), I would guess one average weighs around 7000? How many times do you see them with 3-4 yards topsoil; or stone, I do all the time at the yards. All that time overweight has got to beat the cr** outof them. Good luck.