1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 Ton/1 Ton

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by fms, Dec 14, 2005.

1. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

How much difference is there between a 3/4 ton and the 1 ton dodge. Looking on the web site the payload capacity is similar. Is it just suspension?

RODHALL Senior Member

What year trucks you looking at?
  3. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Modern Dodge Ram 2500 vs. 3500.
  4. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

If it is a single wheel truck just the overload springs are on the 3500 Diesel not exactly sure about the gasser's. PK
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I believe the 1 ton has a dana/spicer 80 rear instead of the 70 rear in the 3/4 ton, the rear drums have bigger wheel cylinders (more breaking power).

don't know about the springs- possibly different main spring packs- the 3.4 ton does have a camper package available which would add the booster springs, I coule see a perminant second spring pack for the 1 ton, but I doubt it's a booster pack. 3/4 ton is rated for 8800lbs GVWR, isn;t the 3500 rated for something like 10000lbs SRW and 13,000lbsDRW?
  6. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

If you are getting a diesel, get the 3500 SRW as the payload will be 900 lbs higher. From what I have read, just different springs. My 2003 2500 QC LB diesel has a payload of about 1600 lbs. According to Quickmatch on Western's website, I can put the 7'6" midweight plow on with 700 lbs of ballast. The diesels really cut into the plow selection.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

alot of times the 1tons are cheaper too
  8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The newer (03-up, I think) are using American Axles.
  9. rjm022

rjm022 Member

the new dodges- the only difference between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton is the extra over load leaf spring on the 1 ton.
  10. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The 3/4 tons use a 10.50 rear and 1 tons 11.50 rear, so there is a difference besides springs.