1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 or 1 ton

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kelven11, Jan 5, 2006.

1. kelven11

kelven11 Junior Member

Hey guys! I have been reading on the site for a while and finally signed up.
    I have been plowing for 3 years using a Honda 450 with a 60in moose plow. Been using it to do driveways and sidewalks as well as my small commerical lots. I have been subcontracting my bigger lots out. I am looking forward to next year already as I am planning on getting a newer truck with a plow to do everything myself. I was just wondering if I should go with the 1 ton or would the 3/4 ton be good enough. I am looking at Blizzard 810 power plow or something along those lines.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Are you planning on doing any sanding or salting? If not - go with the 3/4 ton. If so, consider a one ton if you're going to use a Vbox. A 3/4 ton will handle a tailgate model fine. A one ton is generally more expensive to register, maintain and repair. Resale value is questionable, but I'd say it's still better with a 3/4 ton.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Depends what truck modle IMO. Also if its new. Alotof times I would say get a SRW 1 ton. Depends on what running gear you get with it, some 3/4 tons used the beefier trans ect and some didnt. You could get a HD 1/2 ton or a LD 3/4 ton or a heavy 3/4 ton:dizzy: If its a new truck then the waters get real muddy becasue the designations really dont mean squat anymore. For instance the new 2500HD cheevys are actually the old 1ton designation:rolleyes:

Around here anyway I believe the GVW cut off point were things get more expensive and PITA in registration and regulation is 10k#'s, a 9200# 1 ton for instance is ussualy OK and not big $$$. Check with the locals though. They shouldnt care what your badges say but they should care about GVW when it comes to those things.

Look at what your loaded weight will be and your FAWR to see what you need. You plan on having a spreader?

How much $$$ you looking to spend for the rig and are you preferenced twards a brand and if so what and why? Also what else do you do with the truck and what kinda other requirments/features do you want/need?

4. kelven11

kelven11 Junior Member

Thanks for bringing up the point about the cost of registration, I will have to look into that. I have been looking at Chevy's and GMC's, 97-01. I would love to find a flat dump bed or something along those lines and thats why I keep going back and forth between the sizes. I plan on having a salt spreader, probably just a tailgate spreader as seeing about only 5 people in my town use a V spreader. My main income comes in the summer doing lawn care and landscaping. I know that all I need for that is a 3/4 ton but was wondering if it would be easier on the truck when pushing snow to use a 1 ton.

5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I would go with the 3/4--for what it sounds like you are planning for work for it--Best of luck and welcome! -unless you plan on trailering some heavy duty stuff later on!

6. ratlover

from IL

IMO I think one of the NBS HD trucks(they are actually 1 tons) would suit you well. They started with the new HD's in 01. Sounds like you would be best suited with a single rear wheel.

7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i had a blizzard 720 and liked it but a main thing is make sure the dealer is good...ie open in a storm when u need something etc. i will be changin plows on my next truck b.c there was only one dealer and they sucked...but thats key the dealer...go with a 3/4 ton

8. kelven11

kelven11 Junior Member

Ratlover Thanks for pointing out the fact about the newer trucks being heavier. I will probably try to find and 01.
    Blizzard is used by almost all of the bigger companies in town and the dealer is who I do all my lawn equipment business with.
    Looking on here though has really turned me onto the C-plow from Hiniker but we don't have a dealer in town. It would be about an 1 hour drive to the dealer and that worries me if something were to break.
    Thanks for everyones input.

9. ratlover

from IL

JMO but if your doing enough bac draging to want a c plow then I would look into a pull plow and a different blade up front. JMO

10. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

best truck

i would say get whatever you could afford. get snowplow prep package installed, heavy duty alts. extra batterys, di-electric grease all connects, use royal purple lubicatons in the transfer case, tranny, engine. 3/4 ton with snow plow prep package is probably the best for first truck, however 1 ton or larger you would probably never grow out of