1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 or 1 ton diesel that is the question?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMSNOW, Mar 29, 2007.

GMSNOW Member

I currently run a 3/4 gas dodge and have no problems with pulling my trailer or plowing. I am going to buy a new vehicle this fall. I am thinking going to a diesel but I am not sure if I should move up to the 1 ton. I have been told the extra weight of the diesel motor and the wt. of the plow is alot for a 3/4 ton.

What do you think? I was also told by someone that there is no difference in the front end of these 2 vehicles in regards to springs...but the primary difference is the springs and the wt. the 1 ton can carry vs. the 3/4 (payload).

Any input would be helpfull.

FYI I pull a 7x16 enclosed Interstate trailer with 3 mowers during the summer. I am thinking of buying a mid size skid steer for snow in about 3 yrs. from now which I expect to still have this truck to pull that around. I dont do any landscaping so the skid steer would only be used during the winter.

RODHALL Senior Member

What is the weight of the trailer loaded? And what is the weight of bobcat and trailer you plan to pull?

Tow ratings from dodge (all 4x4 8ft bed standard cab trucks)
    Just to give you an idea
    Hemi 9050
    CTD 13250

hemi 10650
    CTD 15900

Just type in www.dodge.com hit “site map” at the bottom of the page. Scroll down to find Ram 2500/3500 click ‘specs & options” pick “2500” or “3500” use the drop down to model then open “CAPACITIES/WEIGHTS” it will tell you everything towing hauling of the model you selected
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW, a little late- the 94-96 2500 qand 3500 used the same front axle and springs for the diesel- the difference was the rear axle and being a DRW. Dodge had a std 2500 and a HD 2500- the HD2500 is a 8800GVWR and the std is 7000GVWR. The 8800 has a Dana 60 front and dana/spicer 70 rear axle and the 3500's have a Dana/Spicer 80 rear.
    Not much changed until the next generation.
  4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

with the diesel the front springs are the same but the rear a little different. other than that and a 3 instead of a 2 on the door its the same. the brakes are the same the trans the front springs. its jsut the rating of the rear springs. and a little bit more money. but it can help out if tyou haul a lot of heavy stuff. (with the law)