1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/4 - 1/2 1958 chevrolet w/70-75 chassis

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gilcontr, Apr 3, 2002.

1. gilcontr

gilcontr Junior Member

a while ago i bought an 8 lug 1958 chevrolet apache truck. After looking around for 16.5 tires for this truck, i decided to turn the truck into a 5 lug as these tires are readily available and more cost efficient :D . I have changed the front end and rear end into a 5 lug.

I am having problems with the original driveshaft of this truck as the u joints of the shaft do not fit the differential. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i could make the driveshaft fit to the differential besided changing the driveshaft out???
  2. gilcontr

gilcontr Junior Member

i have recently found out that i can take apart my 2 piece driveshaft. Does anyone know if the rear half of a 1/2 ton driveshaft will interchange with the front half of the 3/4 ton driveshaft?

I have noticed that the front half of the 1/2 ton driveshaft is identical to the 3/4 ton driveshaft. the only difference that i have seen between the two shafts is the rear section of the shafts which on the 3/4 ton has bigger u joints.

Also, is there any way that i can identify the year of chassis that i have by finding any type of code on it?