1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3/16/07 event

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MnM, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

just stopped home for a bit to take a break and let it accumulate. Must be at least 3" of ice and snow maybe more. I have all my spots open but they just keep gettn covered . I will go back out at like 1 or 2 open them up again and then have all sites salted by 6 am. If this damn precip ever stops. Hows everyone else making out??payup

2. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

this crap is WORSE than the Valentine's Day fiasco. It's 1:30 .a.m.,:realmad: I'm taking a break for a few hours then back out I go. this blows!

I started my route at 4:00 pm, went around and used snowblower until 11, then just started shoveling steps and stuff so it doesn't freeze too badly. Oh the pain.

3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder Junior Member

it SUCKS. i am making alot of cash becasue so many people wqant salt that usually don't, so i am making a killing on salt. but as far as the ice it sucks. alot of wear and tear on the truck. Actually picked up my third commercial account:redbounce :waving: so other than commerical accounts plowing redisential accounts suck .... how everyone is making the green...payup

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Cobourg Ontario Canada

about 2 inches of easy pushin here. Sounds like a money day for you guys.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

How much were most of you guys charging for this storm (snow, but mostly sleet/ice) (Northern, NJ and tri-state area), for a driveway, say 125'x20'? Including shoveling front walk and plowing 3x to keep drive open. I just gave a bill for $95 for the drive described- is this too high?

6. LawnInOrder

was this including salt/sand? I don't think so. If you had to plow 3x just to keep it from freezing solid, then i think $95 is a decent price. Remember time is money, even if it was only 2 inches of sleet/ snow and rain. Thats worse then 8 inches of powder. How did everyone do today? LawnInOrder

7. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Oh the pain. 3/4" of solid ice covered with 2-3" of sleet. I'm sure my truck hates me after last night. I know I'm gonna get a few phone calls when they get the invoices. But WTF, I had an extra shoveler, needed ice melt on every drive, and just killed myself. Definately thought of a better contract for next year, as well as needed equipment.

8. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I didn't salt, I really didn't have to since I kept up with it, and scraped most of it down to the blacktop. So $95 is a fair price for including the shoveling? It seemed high to me, but this stuff was really heavy and a PITA to shovel- the quad handled it okay, just took a while.

9. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

I'd rather have had a 15" snow storm than the 3" of ice we did. I'm charging accordingly. Anyone that doesn't like it? Good, they find someone else! I'll keep my faithful landscaping customers bills as low as I can, but snow removal only customers must pay!

10. LawnInOrder

the ice sucked, so you gutta charge for the extra wear and tear of the machines plus extra shovling time etc. Most people aorund by me were happy to pay $75 for a smaller house then ur talking about..btw how many accounts u got for snow plowing.. ice sucks...Never put down so much salt/sand in my life and people were willing to pay prime money for it. was gunna buy it buy the bag at the landscaping store but they sold out of bagged salt. so they told me to buy a yard of salt/sand which was $40 instead of $10 for a 50lbs of ice melt. sorta glad they didn;t have bagged since i made a killing on it....hope everyone made the grreeeeenpayup ... LawnInOrder

11. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Where'd ya go, Vigliotti? I stocked up last time on the bagged salt, lucky for me, I was even thinking of going to get a yard after I ran out, but I'd had enough, made enough $, and collapsed. You're not in GC are you?