1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3-12-08 3" wet, i really hate this driveway...

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by 91AK250, Mar 12, 2008.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

first off i'm sorry for my buddy taking the vid, i really am..i expect to get ripped apart for it..and im ready..i know and im sorry :(

so the last 2 weeks its been in the 40s and we have lost almost all our snow pack..last night we got 3-4" of heavy wet snow..slick stuff. so i went to do the guy down the street..i hate his driveway its very steep and very slick..as the vid shows.

**warning** there is cussing, and again im sorry
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5nbOu8scng&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5nbOu8scng&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

There's no debating how slick stuff was for you there, but I have to ask why you drive over so much unplowed snow? You have SO much more control driving forward on a snow-free surface especially with the wet stuff packing down as it does.
  3. 91AK250

we dont salt,at all or sand much here..so before i get up there to plow it packs down..its just how we do it up here..theres usealy a good 3-5" of snow/ice pack on driveways by spring..just how we do it up here i guess...but it sure is a pain in the butt!

the main thing is, i want to back drag everything from the front of the garage and top of the drive...then push it all down the hill..thats how he wants it plowed..so thats how i do it..it also seems the best way to do it..theres no way i could keep going if i tryed to plow up the driveway..so its just a catch 22
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

you may want to think about charging more than $20 to do that driveway. seems like you can do a lot of damage to your truck there.
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I really like your truck, but don't ever let your buddy run the camera again. His commentary sucks. That drive is worth a lot more than $20 too.
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i thought his buddy was funny a very simple not to sharp person. it was nice relaxing morning video
  7. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

HA HA the commentary reminds me of the dude from Jay Leno. All that he would of had to say was Fabulous and it would of made the entire video.
  8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I had a driveway like that last year, don't have it this year:bluebounc. Its just not worth getting stuck and upsetting the rest of your clients.

IF that were my truck I would put studds on it and 1000lbs of weight in the back. I think I would try backing up the fresh powder and pushing it all out then return to clean up by the garage.
  9. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

I really enjoy all of your videos, and pictures, but I swear I'm not going to look anymore if you have that kid do commentary again lol. :D
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Nice video but it needed better comentary! Thanks for the plowsite shout-out though!
  11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

4x4 i think u will be fine then!:dizzy: Yeah that kid on the cam got annoying, take out his voice not a bad vid! Keep up the good work!:waving:
  12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I would think that drive would be more in the $50 range it would be very easy to slide into a tree and put a nice dent in your truck. what kind of tires are you running? are they getting low on tread?
  13. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Show your customer the vid of when you spin out...then up your price. But shut the volume off when you do. I had a 250 like yours; without ballast and good tires I slid around on the greasy stuff. Time for new sneakers on that rig?
  14. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

i was going to flip out when he was making fun of canada until i realized he doesnt know cancun was good vid but get rid of the comentary
  15. 91AK250

i allways run in 4x4, i have 350lbs of weight in the back. the tires are older BFG(not a/ts) with atleast 90% tread (the truck has only gotton 5k miles in the last 5 years) i cant see spending the money on tires when these have so much left in them...they arent bad..but i would like a set of snow tires..but the cost..so idk

i think next year i will tell him i cant do it for so cheap, theres such a high chance of screwing up and messing my truck up..which i dont wanna do.

haha and my friend isnt as bad as he comes off..but sorry lol
  16. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

thats just it even though they have a lot of tread when tires get old they turn rock hard and dont grip.
  17. 91AK250

i may see if i can pickup a set of cooper M+S, i have a set of them studded on my explorer and it doesnt slip for anything..

your right, a hard tire wont help any...they arnt dry rotted or anything. but im sure i could do better. most situations they do just fine..but theres allways room for imporvment.
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i agree the drive is worth more than twenty bucks but i dont drop for under fourty five anyway and im in a different area so take it for what it is worth.

suggestion. i know you arent a big salt fan but either
    a. plow it on a zero trigger so it is scraped clean
    b. salt and sand it and bill your customer accorrdingly so you dont look like a dumbaZZ trying to plow it.

it really doesnt look like a hard drive to me. pretty cut and dry (and free of ice if you deal with it like a professional)
  19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

the magic line that fits all customers "he doesnt pay me enough" LOL

i feel your pain on that drive
  20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try this plow in front of the door sideways and make enough room to back the truck into the plower area. Then push it down hill you'll scrape it better than trying to back drag it.