1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2x4 vrs 4x4?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Added Touch, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

Hello all, Just starting out ...limited finances and looking at what the minimum equipment requirements are. Is it practical to plow with a 2 x4 ? Looking at Ford F150 type pick ups.
  2. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I wouldn't try plowing with a 2x4. You might be able to get away with it with tire chains, etc....but thats not very practicle.

If you get so little snow that a 2x4 is a possibility...then look into a smaller truck or older 4x4....

ABSOLUTE mininum for residential work, in my opinion is a small 4x4 pickup with a homesteader plow. But something that small will wear out very fast.....

How limited ARE your finances?
  3. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

I would say that without my wife killing me :) less than 10 k
  4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

In my area you can buy some older 4x4 plow trucks for that...depending on what you are going to do with it... For example we have a 95 F150 with 42k (yes actual miles) with 7.6' western unimount on the lot for $4,500. some rust, but not too bad...no big body holes, and a nice clean interior.. (moderators: i mention it as an example, not that i am trying to sell it)

Its certainly not the kind of truck you would want to plow a walmart parking lot with...but as a first year truck for a dozen or so clients...it could pay for itself...

if you can spend up to 10k, keep your eyes open for a nicer unit in your area

I would buy that over a 4x2...
  5. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

LOL Thanks Glen, I appreciate it.
  6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

where are you in Ontario?

Check the Heavy Equipment Trader, there is always plow trucks in there.

There was a late model 3/4 tonne with western plow for about $15,000 with brand new front end. You can find similar in a bit rougher shape for less.

The new traders come out today and you will find more.

If you can manage to spend $15/$16 you can get a much newer truck with plow and it will last you a few years.

This time of year there is a lot of guys who overbid and are now needing bigger equipment. So they are willing to dump off smaller/older equipment to get bigger.

I always buy the trader and if I find anything I will tell you.
  7. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Definately try to find a 4x4.
    2x4 is going to be limited, in performance. Not to mention, all the ballast you will need, because of it not being 4x4.
    Check around . There are trucks with plows for cheap. Might not be pretty, but they work. Make some money, then upgrade.JMO
  8. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

If you are from ANYWHERE in Ontario, I would say nay to the 2x4. Last year, we had an issue putting our 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 into 4 wheel drive. It had a fully loaded tailgate salter and about 900# of salt in the back. We could BARELY plow with it. In some cases, we couldnt plow with it at all. We had Blizzaks and the whole bit.

I wouldnt dream of plowing with a 2x4. Spend a bit more and worry alot less. :salute:
  9. PatrickCampbell

PatrickCampbell Junior Member

2 more - Wonder if you could expand a little. How much weight was that in total? I was planning on putting 1.5 tons in the back of my truck, that is for a total of well over 5000# on the rear wheels on skinny (235) Cooper Discoverer M+S's.
  10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Not in a pickup truck. In any light duty vehicle, you pretty much need 4x4.
  11. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

A 2x4 is a piece of lumber
    A 4x2 is a rear wheel drive truck.
  12. gpfarrell

gpfarrell Junior Member

Well, I think a 2X4 might work better than a 4X2!

Seriously, I'd stick with a 4wd. My old F150 with snow biters was a challenge to drive without a plow. My 4wd F250 isn't unstoppable, but even on all seasons I don't have to be too worried about getting hung up.

$10k would buy you a nice-enough f250... the example above is just what you need.
  13. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

No matter how much weight you put into a 2x4 or 4x2 (to accomodate the perfect posters here), if the rear tires dont grab, you are in serious trouble. For myself, because my properties vary, I could never rely on a 4x2 truck.

The best advice I ever rec'd was to buy whatever it takes to get the job done RIGHT. I would buy a 4x2 to use as a salter only. If you can only afford a 4x2, buy it. You either make SOME money plowing or none at all. Also, if you start raking it in, you can always sell it and upgrade.

Good look, everything happens for a reason.
  14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

i have plowed now a couple season and its not something i would wanna try....just an example i was unloading my leaf box today and i got stuck with my f350 so turn on 4x4....i was on a very small grade on grass nothing special its just better knowing you have the 4x4 becuas eyou will more often need it than you wont