1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2x4 GMC 5500...Plow or no Plow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DCL, May 25, 2010.

1. DCL

DCL Member

Weve got an 05 GMC 5500 but it is 2x4. Would it be rational to put a 10' plow on it? Im sure theres other threads with info but Id like some fresh input/advice. Thanks!
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With weight on the back it will plow without any problems. There are lots around here like that.
    I have a C6500 with a 10' Boss straight blade, no problems plowing.
  3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I plow a lot of the time in 2wd in my 1ton. There are plenty of times, however, when I need 4wd even when fully loaded in the back.
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

That thing will need about 6000lbs in the bed
  5. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Hey just to let you know, I did plow one winter with a '83 C60 with a 16' dump bed. This was an old Co-op truck 366 gas w/ 5and2 and it really did a pretty good job for me. I had a western 6 1/2 widened to 9 1/2 and homemade wings to 12' . I hauled my newholland Boomer 34 on the back for ballast, wich I would unload to do short work and sidwalks. The point is this was adequate on flat ground, But i had a harrowing experience going up a steep hill to a residential job and decided to find a 4x4. If you don't have hilly terrain where you are, worst case, grab a set of chains and get some weight. Big trucks are fun to drive, you can put snow anywhere but around a corner ! !
  6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

There is another snow contractor in my area who has a 6500 2wd with a 10 western on it, uses it on a flat plaza seems to work good
  7. IPLOW4U

IPLOW4U Junior Member

A 5500 with a plow will work great. You will need salt in the dump for counter weight or a v-hopper if using a flat bed. You will need weight to plow, but make sure to not put more than needed as it will place extra abuse on your trans.
  8. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

I seen a guy out by me running 5500 4x2 with boss 9'2 and he did good, didnt have any weight but was plowing flat parking lots.
  9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We had a Western HD 10 ft on our 2wd Topkick and it worked well. Not the quickest combination, but it worked.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN