1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2x2x4 concrete blocks - salt bin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1msmith, Oct 8, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

two quick questions

the blocks that i normally use have a v-grove to help them lock together , i came acrross a good deal on ones that did not have that grove... any problems with blocks falling over , under normal useage ( yes i know you cant ram into them) ?

how high is safe considering it doesnt have that grove? 6 feet or 8 feet?

also , this is going on a parking lot thats less than 5 years old...still looks nice... they weigh 2500 lbs each , so 3 of them stacked up is 7500, or 4 would be 10,000 - any problems distrubing the asphault? sinking?

im going to be using shipping containers as the "side walls" for the bin , and blocks for the rear..... any thoughts? - this is a stonrage on site , so it needs to be safe, secure, and nice looking.... I was thinking about a fence between the bins to lock my salt up

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wait until the ground freezes and it shouldnt sink too much.. ive seen guys stack them 2 hihg round here with no damage to the lot...

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

If the property is a storage depot, its a secured yard anyways. If the bin will be open to anyone-say in a retail shopping centre or something of that nature-fencing wouldnt be a bad idea-even a temporary construction site fence would work.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

its going on a retail center... so i think im going to weld hinges to the sides of the containers and have it swing open... i know locks are to keep hoenst ppl out... but its a start

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Are you storing anything in the bins? The ones we rent are from MobileMIni-to store skid steers and sidewalk equipment.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

yep, thats acctually were we got quated from ....

i think in one bin will be sidewalk equiptment... plus bagged salt, might have a fuel tank, possibly a liquid tank... maybe some tools as well

the other im not sure.... we were thinking of backing the skidsteer inside it.... i use to work at a place and thats what we did , it fit no problem

its a heavy traffic retail store, so a clean and neat apperance is a must, we will be putting a sign on the container....

after some quick math , i guess 6 feet tall, is really only 6.5 PSI ... doesnt seem that much

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  7. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

The blocks in the back will be pushed against when you load salt out, when you get to the end of the pile. I would think about maybe putting two deep on the first row. and limit parking on the back side of the storage bin.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

good thought... there will just be curb and grass on the backside

9. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Watch the salt in the lawn areas

10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I dont know if this is a stupid idea but what if you weld some steel bars on the backside of the containers then the blocks will rest against the steel strips which would give the blocks some support. Its just a thought that cdrossed my mind, not sure if it would work or not.

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I was thinkin the same thing when i got to this post

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

good idea, the only problem is see with that is im renting the containers.... any thoughts on if i would get in trouble? i guess what ever you weld on , you can grind off , and paint

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok , so i was thinking about your idea...

since most of the time the force is only pushed on the lower 2 feet of the bin....

to keep cost down , could i just put blocks one row tall (2 feet) and weld c-chaneel to the sides of the contanors, and slide in 2x12 from the top? man i was doing some math ... it could save me like $300 bucks.... im not looking to build fort knocks... only hold and secure salt, this is a temperary site.... and is taken apart in april....

14. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

That sounds like a good idea. You may be able to bolt on the steel too, may not be as obvious ans welding.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I saw a guy put containers on each side and then mounted his coverall on top of them. He then used blocks at the rear. I hate those little blocks we buy the bigger grooved ones, we're actually putting one up tommorrow. The bigs blocks are very feasible to take down every year though.

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

i really am thinking this is the way to go... this whole set up will have very little cost, and do just what i need, plus tons of storage in the containers... , and low PSI on the asphalt to not cause damage

bobcat could sit inside the container.... pusher could go in the salt area, closed off with a fence

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

thats exactly what im doing... but i think im substituting.... instead of the block wall at the rear, im gonna do 1 row of blocks, then 2x12 on top of that.....

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If your only using a skid for salt that will be fine.

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

yep thats the plan...jsut have to make sure the operator on that site knows to only dig towards the bottom of that pile

20. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Those containers have holes on the ends at the top and bottom that lock to the trailers. You might be able to fab a bar top to bottom on each side and fasten to the locking holes. Make this bar 4-5 inches wide. Put some 4x4's or 6x6's between the bars and then put your block on the inside of these.

Option # 2. Put the block in next to the curb which you said was there in a previous post. Take a piece of angle and bolt the angle across the back, tieing the block together, left to right. Do the same on the second row and put a couple of pieces of angle tieing the two rolls together. When you load just back drag the salt away from the pile and then load the bucket. At the end of the pile you will push against the blocks.