1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gossy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. gossy

gossy Junior Member
    from 03060

Does anyone out there plow with 2WD? I know someone who wants to sell a new full size Chevy truck with a plow but I noticed it was 2WD. My first thought was that it wouldn't perform. Anyone have advice on this?
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Is it a dump or a pickup?
  3. gossy

gossy Junior Member
    from 03060

It's a full size pickup ...

I've never plowed and always assumed that pickups with plows on them were 4WD ... Ehnce the question.

4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Dual wheel trucks are pertty common around here with plows. They are mostly used on roads though with a good amount of weight. If thats not the situation or its a SRW I would recomend against it.
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Forget about it, you would be asking for trouble. You may be able to get away with it if your plowing really flat surfaces with literally a ton or more of weight in the back but its still too much to risk IMO. When you need 4X4, you NEED 4X4. If you want to spend time waiting for someone to pull you out or pay for a tow truck, then 2WD is for you.
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have had 2 of my 2wd trucks plow. If these were my only trucks then this would not be a good idea. They both had salters in the back and went out with a load on. One of them got stuck once in 5 years and the other we used for 1 year and it never got stuck. These trucks were in wide open almost flat areas. Plowing with this much weight on is also hard on the truck. I now only salt with my salt trucks and all the plow trucks are 4x4.
  7. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I sometimes forget to switch from 2wd to 4wd when I get to a job and I usually get stuck or have trouble stacking when that happens. I suppose with the right tires and enough weight in the back you could get it to work in 2wd under the right conditions but I wouldn't buy a 2wd with the intent of plowing much snow. The old adage "right tool for the right job" applies here.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I could only see if you were doing flat lots and push 3inches at a time.
    Or if the truck stayed on that lot ALL the time, and you had the 4x4's running around doing the other accounts.
  9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I'm with Bob-right tool---unless he is giving it away---which a plow setup is worth a couple of hundred at least! ---- any running 4wd plow truck you can get $1000 all day long. If you don't need one right now wait till spring and get what you need!
  10. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

4wd is the best way to push snow, however 2wd duallys are good for salting, and hauling bobcats or what not to the site. however thee best thing about a 4wd truck is that you can pull the hot women out of ditches with their 80,000 dollar lexus.:D
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There is one absolutely necessary accessory for a 2wd truck plowing driveways - a cell phone to call a tow truck.
  12. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

LOL Mick that is the best yet. very true though.
  13. gossy

gossy Junior Member
    from 03060

All, Thanks much for the feedback - This is a great site.