1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd VS 4wd backhoe

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NHresident, Jun 21, 2016.

1. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

hi all I'm looking to buy a backhoe sometime I'm looking for opinions on 2 wd units compared to 4 wd drive I plan to do snow removal and whats needed around my farm where it some times gets muddy in the fields I don't want to purchase a 2 wd unit then realize i shoulda spent the 3-6k more for a 4wd unit SO will a 2wd get it done or no comparison thanks
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I personally wouldn't consider 2 wheel drive. You may be able to get by with it, but why take the chance? I don't know tractors very well, do the two wheel drive models at least have a differential lock?
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

As far as lock, yes they do. The also have independent brakes for left and right rear brake.

I would vote 4 wheel drive, better to have then not.

Now this thread will turn into a two vs four wheel and how two wheel drive salt trucks are better for plowing....lol
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, sure will. It's summer, what else we got to do? What size backhoe? A 4x4 will drive into the piles better.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's kinda the same difference between using an axe and a chainsaw. Get the 4wd.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't waste your money on a 2wd backhoe
  7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

A 4wd backhoe has the left and right brake too.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Wasn't trying to say otherwise, actually I've never care to plow with one. Something about the hoe being attracted to those little entrance and exit signs that turns me off to using them.
  9. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Most times we push in 2wd, it is nice to have 4wd when theres a slick glaze underneath
  10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

When I first started I drove a 2wd 580k. Used mostly for pushing back piles, you would think the weight would help with traction but those big tires disperse it pretty good and spin quite a bit. When we got a 4wd it was night and day and the back tires didn't wear as fast. It was nice not to have to hoe yourself out of the pile as well...
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I don't understand............
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wasn't talking to you ........
    BUFF likes this.
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No need to be bitter just because I have more hair.
  14. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

i have a '91 care 680, it is 2 wheel drive and cant move on level ground. stay away.

that being said the thing starts rite up when its 0 degrees out in February even if i hadn't started it in months.
  15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have had both a 2wd and 4wd . I have had no problems but when it came to mud on the 2wd . I would go with the 4wd.
  16. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

OK thanks to every one for all the input
  17. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

2wd hoes suck,even in dry conditions. Just trying to get a full bucket of dirt for back fill can be frustrating at times in 2wd.
  18. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

There are to many reasons to list why you do not want the 2 wheel. I will say this, You will have a hard time selling it. These are not desirable to contractors anymore.
  19. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

We run a 2wd jcb and it pushes a 10 ft box with no problem . Wet or dry snow it doesn't have any issues with it. A 4wd is better but a 2wd machine can do the job also