1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd to 4wd?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by peanut46g, Feb 28, 2004.

1. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I just got a real good deal on a 74 chevy half ton, but it's 2 wheel drive and I would like to have a 4 wheel drive. Is it possible to take the front end out of another truck and put it in mine? If so have any of you done it, and is it hard? Thanks
  2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It's possible. There are companies that do this to new vehicles. I've seen one on T.V., but don't know the name.
  3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

If you read any four wheel magazine they'll tell you it's way easier and cheaper to just buy the 4wd. There are so many things like the oilpan hitting the front axle, header clearance etc. that it's too much of a pain to do.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

id do something to lift a 2wd
  5. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I didn't know I could buy the 4 wheel drive so I'll do that. Where can I get it from? Has anybody ever done this? Thanks
  6. GPB

GPB Member

You'll be money ahead to just find a 4x4 truck. Converting is very expensive and time consuming. To go out and buy a whole new drive train and fit it to a 2wd truck is a huge undertaking. Some trucks even the frame is different. If you want 4x4, you need a different truck.
  7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I meant go buy a 4wd truck like GPB said, alot less headaches and cheaper in the long run.
  8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If you want to get a new 4X4 van, just inquire at a dealer. They should be able to tell you who it is that does them. I don't know if it's the coach builders that do the custom vans or not, but the show I saw said they could be ordered through the dealers.
  9. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I assume you meant that the C10 that you bought has a nice interior and good body/paint. Simplest thing to do now is find a similar year (74 - 77) Chevy or GMC 4x4 truck that has a rusty body. That won't be too hard. Next rip off the old sheet metal right down to the bare rolling chassis, swap the motor and trans if so desired, and drop the cab and bed onto the 4x4 frame. This gives you a chance to clean up any rust spots, add upgrades and such, and won't cost too much.

To find a 70's 4x4 in really good shape will cost you the same as having the two trucks. But think of the things you could do while the body is off. Polyerathane body mounts, spring/shock upgrades, paint the frame, new fuel tank, new fuel and brake lines, brakes, wheel bearings, u joints, etc. you'll probably have $5,000 into it by the time you are done, but the truck will be in pristine shape.