1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd to 4wd conversion?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hillbilly1974, Feb 24, 2002.

1. hillbilly1974

hillbilly1974 Junior Member

i have a 1974 chevy stepside 2wd. is there any way to convert it to a 4wd? thanks
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The most economical way would be to find a donor (wreck or junk) vehicle and start swapping parts. Unless your truck is in extremely good condition though, it's probably not worth the effort. You can probably sell your truck and then add the money you'd spend making the conversion and be able to buy a decent 4x4 ready to go. I did a frame off restoration some years ago, spent $6000 in parts and untold hours in labor and when a guy ran in to me and totaled it got $1800 from the insurance company. Never again.
  4. hillbilly1974

hillbilly1974 Junior Member

thanks for the help. i will probally just keep the truck like it is. it is too nice to go swamping to another chasis,although this is the right way to do this. thanks again everyone.