1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2WD Salt Truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by huskertaz, Nov 15, 2010.

1. huskertaz

huskertaz Junior Member

I currently have a GMC 4500 Dump Truck that is 2WD and need to upgrade from our current small tailgate spreader on our pickup. My question is if anyone has done this and if there would be enough weight in the truck when loaded to get around. It does not have a plow on it either. Looking at getting a 7 or 8' Blizzard/Western Poly spreader. This would either be the 1.8 or 2.5 yd spreader. The truck can only handle about 3 ton anyways so with the 2 ton of product it would not be overweight. I guess if we had to we could add some sand bags to help with traction. Any help would be appreciated. My other option would be putting it into one of our F250's that have heavy duty springs on them and plows.

2. as81808

as81808 Junior Member
    from NJ

that is the same truck we run and have no problems with 2wd even when plowing. my guess is youll be just fine.

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If all you are doing is salting with it, I wouldn't worry one bit.

4. mattslawn

mattslawn Junior Member
    from Indiana

throw a plow on it too, it will do just fine just keep it on flat ground for plowing

5. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I barely ever even used 4x in the 5500. Three tons in the bed, and good tires, it had nooooooooo problems on flat ground.

6. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

You have a bad storm, and you'll have problems. Make sure you are able to implement a salting system out of one of your 4x4's, just in case.

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be fine. Keep it loaded and good tires. I would have a set of chains too just in case.

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The majority of our salt trucks are 2wd. Usually when its time to salt the roads are better, and the lots should surely be plowed. 2wd isnt a problem

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Might want to consider an under electric under tailgate sander. Why pay for the hopper
    when you have a dump bed ?

017.jpg

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a 1500 and i plow 75% of the time in 2 wheel drive, i wouldnt think twice about throwing that spreader on the truck you have.

11. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Last year I pulled out three dualies stuck in a bank.
    As long as the roads are clear, you should be fine.
    I was only referring to if you have a bad snowfall and the roads are horrible, it will be tough getting to the jobs in a timely manner.
    I would suggest a tailgate spreader for your dumb bed, good tires, and a winch on the front.

12. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

not to worry

i plow all the time with mine, even in 11 inches of snow no problems, mine has 4x4 but have never used it, i carry 2 yards of salt all the time , never had a problem.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

There are a bunch of guys out here with 2 wheel drive salt trucks. From 3500's to 5500's. You will be fine. Then you also have less of a problem if somthing breaks on your plow truck, you can still salt.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I would keep a set of chains handy for the big ice storms.