1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd posi trac snowplowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by truck1500, Dec 27, 2002.

1. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i have a 1500 2wd i was wondering if posi trac would work on it, if i was to put weight in the back to i was going to use a snowbear snowplow.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

dont even waste your time with a snowbear, or a small 2wd. i suppose it would work however, 2wd one tons (loaded with 2tons of salt and sand) are a ***** when snows heavy and wet..... can only imagine what a little 1/2 ton 2wd would be like:confused:
  3. hiranger

hiranger Member

I wouldn't plow with a 2wd half ton even it is a ford. At one time I thought about doing the same thing with a half ton that we have. Even with posi you have to put quite a bit of weight in the back for traction. Bottom line is that the weight that needs to go in the truck will put too much strain on the truck. If you had at least a one ton dump you would be fine.
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

once again 2WD IS WORTHLESS FOR PLOWING a posi/locker/spool is good for doing doughnts, going off road and drag racing.

but then again anything is possable :eek:

5. cbr954plower

cbr954plower Junior Member

Now I know we are comparing apples and oranges.... but I love my f450 2wd... I have 3 tons in the back with the V plow, but it is a monster...

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

2wd plow?

apples and oranges? a 1/2 ton to a monster Ford with three tons on it is more like a grapes to watermelon comparison.
  7. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

snowbear...aint that the manual angle winch lifting not commercial plow?
  8. hillworks7669

hillworks7669 Junior Member

The six foot plow will not even take out your tire tracks, you will drive on more snow than you plow. If you insist on using it for snow removal haul a snowblower in it. Do you have any accounts this year or just think if you get a plow you will get work. If you don`t have accounts save your pennies and get the right equipment for the job next year.:nod: :nod:

Truck 1500,
    Didn't you ask this question about a week ago? Try it if you want to but I know you are going to be miserably dissappointed, not to mention out the money for the plow. I'm sure you can get your hands on a decent 4wd truck with a plow for under $2500. Just have it checked out by someone who has done some plowing and knows what to look for. I know for a fact you could make that much money back EASILY in a season in your area.
  10. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

NEW QUESTION...does limited slip work in reverse?....i am considering installing one on my 4x4 dakota but without the reverse function i wont bother, i need to back out of some steep driveways and really want this..trak loc makes one for my truck......thanks
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You need a trac lok with 4x4? Am I missing something or doesn't a Dakota put power to all 4 wheels with 4x4? In which case you can't call it 4x4. Maybe 4x2 (one driving in front and one in rear?).
  12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Mick brought this up in another thread and I want to reinforce it. You've been asking the same questions repeatedly and getting the same answers.

Could you plow with it? Probably, in very light conditions.

Is it practical? NO!

No matter how many times you ask the answers will be the same. It's almost time to put this horse out to pasture.
  13. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

all 4x4's will slip if one wheel is on ice and u have an open differential...this is why they use lockers/posi etc
  14. Mick

from Maine

Two suggestions, then. First would be to carry some salt, Magic Salt or other ice melt. Second would be chains. I don't know, but I don't think I have anything like that on my 1/2 ton Dodge or one ton Chevy and have never noticed one tire losing traction in 4wd. Course, I don't think the Dodge could lose traction if all one or all four were on ice:rolleyes: . A powerhouse it is, but a speed demon it isn't.
  15. Mick

from Maine

oops, ignore my last post, plowman777. I just realized that I wasn't answering the question you'd asked. I was focused on the cost of posi-traction. As far as working in reverse, I don't know. Have had cars with posi-trac, but reverse was never an issue.
  16. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

yes, a limited slip works in reverse.
  17. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I was going to post a reply last week when this same question came up and since we are revisiting it now, and since I live and plow in the GR area, here is my input. (2 parts).

1) I try to plow as much as I can in 2wd with my 99 Chev 2500. It tends to save some wear and tear on the front diff and tranfer case, and making tight turns is easier. BUT, I am an experienced plower and you will deffinately need 4wd to get you out of some situations, such as when you are piling snow, or if you go too far off the pavement. Not to mention when it is icy under the snow (which tends to happen frequently here in West Michigan). Another thing is the fact that somtimes it is simply a matter of control. If you are pushing a large amount of snow or heavy wet snow, when you have your blade angled, the action/reaction thing comes into play and your truck will want to slide in the opposite direction that you have your plow angled.
  18. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Part Two.

There is a guy who owns a facility across the street from an apartment complex that we have done for the last couple of years. His lot is decent sized and he plows it himself. His truck is an early '90's Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd with a home-made plow. Now this contraption sits probably a good 8 feet in front of the truck and the moldboard is just as wide as the truck itself and is fixed at an angle. The whole thing looks to be made from aluminum and does not raise or lower, it just rides on the ground all the time.

To watch this guy clear his lot is one of the most entertaining things I have ever seen. He does have chains on the rear tires, and he has to get up a good head of steam before he hits the snow, and even then, he spins the tires and winds that poor small block to the red every pass. The guy gets the job done and probably saves himself a few grand every year on snowplowing expense, but for as long as it takes him, is it worth it? He must think so. We plowed the apartments one morning and got done about 5:30 am and he was just getting started. We came back to do clean-ups later that afternoon and he was still at it. That is not the picture of efficiency that you are looking for...

Trust me, and everyone else on this site buddy, get yourself a good 4x4 to plow with. There are so many available for sale right now, you wouldn't beleive it. Seriously, name your price range and you can find a truck with a plow on it already, just look in those auto trader type flyers that are in every gas station.

I work in a retail parts store and have many snowplowers as customers. If you want to talk plowing in person, e-mail me and I'll tell you where.

Good luck.