1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by beverlylawncare, Apr 28, 2008.

1. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

With great debate, I'm sure, I figured I'd throw this question out there for a conversation generator. I'm going to add a truck to my business. It will mainly be used in summer for towing and hauling mulch. I've come up with two possibilities that are available and within my budget.

Truck one is a 95 Ford F250, inline 6 (good torque and gas mileage) BUT is only a 2wd. It has 56k actual miles. Price is $2900.

Truck two is a 94 Chevy 1500, 5.7 350 V8 (only half ton, but is 4x4). It has 45k actual miles AND already has a meyer 7.5 plow (steel with some surface rust, but in 7 out of 10 shape.) Could use some new angle cylinders soon, but aren't pitted out more than a few specks each ram. Price is $6000 for truck and plow.

Both run and drive out great, both have cold AC.

Could I add a plow to the F250? I generally plow in 2wd with my 01 250, until I hit deep or icy spots, then I lock in 4x4. With enough weight, I could do ALMOST the same amount of work with the 2wd. We generally don't get more than 2-3 inch snows here anyway.

Any advice?

Oh yeah, the 250 has the floating rear end, so I could convert to a dually with ease, giving more weight capacity (ie 2 skids of salt for weight/traction).

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic