1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ercrvs24, Aug 14, 2005.

1. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 Junior Member

Anyone plow with a 2wd truck? I thought the idea was crazy, but I have no experiance and I keep seeing 2wd trucks in my area with plows that are for sale. Thanx for any input.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

You see alot of duelly 2 wheelers with blades and a ton of ballast. They do okay just dont plan on turning with a load of snow on your blade or doing loading docks or inclines. Other wise they can work okay.
  4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

my friend never uses 4 wheel drive in his f350 dump truck dually with sander
  5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

most of the time im in 2wd when i plow .
    still , i would NEVER use a 2wd truck for plowing though.
    you get stuck more often and in the heavy snow it seems like my truck just doesn't want to push the snow untill i kick in 4wd .
  6. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

2wd no way

i understand the logic behide your question but 2wd trucks just dont have the trackion of a 4wd truck, you would be better of to pay a little bit more for something that you could do docks with and inclines. by no means trashes 2wd trucks though we have 2 f350 dumps that are 2wd but we only use them for salting, have plow just in case but dont recommend it.
  7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Last year doing parking lot it is about 4am been up a long time. Anyway was going from one place to next in 2 wheel drive when i get to lot go to plowing just cant seem to push it far so i would back of and take smaller bits. (Like i said been up for quit a while) anyway i happen to look down and notice i'm in 2 wheel drive. Put that baby in 4x4 ah no problms now. If there wasn't a thin film of ice i could have done it in 2 wheel drive but that ice killed me. So yes with good tires and lots of ballast you can plow in 2 wheel drive. But nowhere near as easily as with 4x4.