1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowwannab2003, Jan 23, 2005.

1. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

is there anyone that plows with a 2wd truck. just wondering how it does pushing the snow and what you do for weight and what kind of plow set up you have.

2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

There are, but it's not the best idea.

3. edosher

edosher Member

2wd.....

All night long after a u joint blew out!! luckily, it didn't damage the front driveshaft or races. After disconnecting the front 'shaft, I added 400 lbs of wieght to the rear (ups it to 1200) , lowered the tire pressure to 20-25psi, and put the transfer case in "4WL" when required. Not the best way to do it, but what option do I have at this point untill tomorrow morning? :help:

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

No problem with the right truck and the right amount of ballast . I ran a 1988 2wd f350 with a v box , good snow tires , and a 8 ft meyers . Now running a 1993 ford f350 crew cab dualy with the v box it works fine. Also have a international with a tool body and a 8 foot meyers with wings . It moves mountains of snow. Posi rear is a nice help , but I dont have one.
    I have even seen a plow on a half ton chevy 2 wd 6 cyl and it moved snow .

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would only use a mack 6 wheel with chains

6. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

I just had my 4wd go out, and I can tell you pushing snow straight it not too big of a deal, but backdragging, and getting your initial lane started are the two biggest problems. I would not reccommend a 2wd for driveways. It will probably get you by in a pinch for roads and open parking lots, but imagine how silliy you will look if you get stuck with a plow. :)

Kevin

7. schnitz

schnitz Member

I plow with 2wd. I've posted several times that you can do it. Is it right to do it? Not in my book. I do it as a back-up to my 4wd which is in the garage with the front axle tore apart. IMO, it takes good tires (BFG All Terrain T/A's), ballast (I have 1000lbs), and brains behind the wheel. I left the brains at home yesterday. I couldn't even open the doors. 45 minutes later I was going again. For a plow, I have an "88 Snowbear. It did fine until the strap broke. If I had a 4wd that worked, I'd be using it instead, though.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'll plow level and downhill in 2wd pushing about 4-6". Not much more. If you're doing any more, use chains and around 300 lbs of ballast. You'll be unstoppable until you break a chain link and it wraps around a brake hose (happened to me a couple days ago).

9. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I have plowed for many years with 2WD trucks from a model A to my last '80 chevy C20 with open differential. The keys are to have plenty of weight in the back 1000# minimum, good tires, know your limits and don't take more than you can handle. I also used a smaller blade than a similar 4X4 would use, 6½ ft off a Scout I junked. Chains are not required for most snows but in the big ones they make life easier. I rarely chained up the chevy under 10". You have to pay way more attention than with a 4X4 and carry a shovel. I did plenty of shoveling out especially stacking piles. I also made traction mats out of about 3' of steel safety decking that saved lots of shoveling. Here's a link to what I used.
    http://www.mcnichols.com/products/gripstrut/
    Now having a 4X4 I wouldn't go back but at the times I had to run what I brung!

10. divihydroseed

divihydroseed Junior Member

I had a girlfriend's father that plowed with a 2WD years ago - he used to use cement forms for weight in the bed, and always had chains on the tires...

Hope this helps,

11. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Mine is 2 wheel but I have a locker. There are limits to be observed.

Gene

12. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

Been using my 2wd Chevy 1500 with my lil ol snowbear for the past 4-5 years. No problem. I have learned a couple things:

1) snow tires. Period. (used all seasons with chains...snows are still better)
    2) I put the summer all season tire/wheels in the bed for weight.
    3) try and plow no more than 6" ( Have plowed 12+ before,not well, but possible)

Even with the 30 or so inches we got during the blizzard (south of Boston), the snowbear was able to clear my driveway with over 12" on the ground. I fell asleep overnight...when I woke...I was like " Holy Sh!t...there is NO WAY this is going to work"..The snow put up a fight..but it gave way eventually. I was able to make a snow mound taller than a car in the driveway.

[​IMG]

Sure...4wd and a real plow would work better. But I just happen to own a 2wd that I liked.

Paul

13. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

how do you use those traction mats?

14. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I have about three foot lenghts of the stuff and it is wider than the tires. You get stuck and jam them in under the tires on the side of the direction you want to go. I usually was putting them behind the tires as I was trying to back out from a pile to where i'd already plowed. Tire may spin a little till it gets a bite on the mat then hooks up and out I'd come. Didn't always work on the first application and I'd have to stuff it back under which ever tire spit it out. Don't let anyone stand in line with the truck because these can come flying out when slung by the tire and will hurt. After a few times using them they get a nice little arc to them.

15. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Chevy 3500 w/Boss plow & 1 skid of salt on the back. Works good until you start stacking snow, then I just let the 4x4s & skids do it.

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

IMO dont put a plow on the truck you have.

I run a 2500HD with 1k of ballast in the back. I run tires that do very well in the snow. 98% of the time I am not in 4x4 but when I need it I NEED it. Not just times were I cant push the snow well(very rarely) it ussualy comes down to control. I dont want to be fighting my truck and have my ass end walking all over the place.....or I am next to a few cars and on an incline and all my rear tires do is spin and slid me tward someone else's sheet metal. Back dragging, ect.......

JMO but no sense beating up a pretty good and newer vehicle and not be extremely productive with it. You wont be extremely productive with your truck, you can do it and make it workable. You dont want to make a workable solution, you arnt going to make enough $$$ with a workable solution to make it worth your while. JMO Alot less capitol here and insurance shouldnt be so bad and you can still bring in some good money.

Get a 4x4, even and older one and do that. Or maybe use your truck as a part of a side walk crew or something? Load it with some shovels and a bunch of salt and maybe a trailer with a 4 wheeler or a tractor and a blade and get on with a contractor working doing his walks at comercial places. There isnt as much capitol investmen, insurance shouldnt be so bad and you can still make some pretty good money.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  17. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

2003 npr hd with a 9 ft snoway. 4000 lbs of salt sand in the dump body, truck plows great!

18. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

I've got a 1 ton Chevy Dump. 2WD!!! The damn thing is a tank!! Never a problem pushing snow... Used to have a 4wd.... never used 4 wheel! Most of the time I have bags of salt in the back. That does help, but even when it's empty I have no problems. As long as it's a 1 ton I'll never buy another 4wd. The empty weight on the truck is about 8,000 lbs.