1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2WD Plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Ruckover1, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Ruckover1

Ruckover1 Junior Member
    from 80122

Has anyone ever plowed with a 2-wheel drive truck?
    Sounds silly, but I have a full size,1972 ford that does everything a truck should do; but its only got 2WD.
    Besides, the guys I see plowing are moving only 2 inches of light powder, half the time.

If I put chains on all wheels and put 1000 pounds in the bed, I could put that 390 to work.

My concern is the front end, and whether or not it has the capacity to bear the weight and pressure of the plow.

Is that crAZY??
  2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

1/2 3/4 or 1 ton ?
  3. jwkv

jwkv Member

72.. 390.. at least a 3/4 ton...
  4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i have a 2wd 1 ton dump and i plow with it all the time.
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Chains on the front won't help you with anythign but tearing stuff up. Be prepared to get stuck!
  6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Mine is 2WD, with a locker. Pushes like a tank.
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Could be a 1/2 ton yet at that age I think... could be wrong though
  8. Ruckover1

Ruckover1 Junior Member
    from 80122

2wd plowing with 3/4 ton

the truck is a 3/4 ton with 390ci
  9. Ruckover1

Ruckover1 Junior Member
    from 80122

3/4 ton, 2wd plow?

10. Ruckover1

Ruckover1 Junior Member
    from 80122

2wd plow? 3/4 ton

The brakes are in the front, as well as steering, of course;;; both of which help to control the vehicle.
    Sure, they're not as important as the rear, but...
    Are chains an issue with property owners, as far as tearing asphalt up? Or do they not care, or not notice?

I don't wanna get stuck out there - - true...
  11. Ruckover1

Ruckover1 Junior Member
    from 80122

The trucks a 3/4 ton...
    Is it workable?
  12. postman11

postman11 Junior Member

yes the owners care about u tearing stuff up, I had to put a rubber cutting blade on mine cuz the owners bitched to much about it scrapping there asphalt even though were the ones who seal coat it every summer.. But im not sure where ur located but alot of citys wont allow ppl to use chains on city streets. its defiantly workable but ur gunna have trouble with wet snow cuz of the weight and jdiepstra's right have fun geting stuck my trucks tranfercase crapped out lastyear and its sucked just to drive in snow with 500 pounds in back until i fixed it this summer when it was warm
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  13. Ruckover1

Ruckover1 Junior Member
    from 80122

2wd plowing with 3/4 ton

Fellow plowers,
    I am new at plowing, and love it so much that I want to buy my first ploiw.

My question is: What do I look for in a used plow?

I know a little bout old fords and such, but not of plow pumps
  14. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

been using a plow on my 94 2wd for about 10 years now. Works like a charm! Best thing I ever bought for my truck. Just add snow tires and ballast in the bed (my summer tires!) and am good to go. I ONLY plow my driveway and use a snowbear. Works for me. Not sure how many other plows will work on a 2wd. SB is about a grand (or a lil more) new.

No doubt every other plow in the world is better than the SB. But as far as I know it is one of the select few designed to work on a standard duty 2wd (or minivans or small SUVs)
  15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dont I feel like a dope. I was meaning that chains on the front won't help with traction pushing the snow but you sure are right they should help with braking and turning! :dizzy:
  16. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

My 88 1/2 ton chev the 4x4 had always been broken so i piled as much weight as i could find in the back and it plowed good on flat ground in medium to light snow. The biggest problem though is backing up if your stacking on a slight hill, you cant back up again i found i got stuck so many times doing this no matter what the weight. I didnt have chains though. Personally I wouldnt unless you've got a 1 ton dually dump truck or heavier.