1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2WD plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by farmerkev, Jul 16, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I was talking to a neighbor the other day when I was telling how I wish I had 4wd so I could plow. He told me if I throw 1000 pounds in my bed I can do anything a 4wd could do. I realize this is most likely pretty true. My freind works at a apartment complex and plows with their 2wd truck with a Fisher. What I was wondering was if I had maybe, a half dozen drives (small ones) could I plow with my truck, assuming I brought a few sholvels just in case:rolleyes:? The only problem I can see, is that if you get stuck, youre really stuck.
  2. snowstroker

snowstroker Junior Member

Usually when I plow in the winter I plow with my truck in 2WD, only for some heavy pushed in a couple of my commercial lots do I put it in 4WD, i keep a 800lb steel block in my bed also.
  3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It would work but best is have heavy weight on bed will help plus tire chain will help much.

If I did i would have electric winch mount rear bumper if you stuck no one help I would hook to pole or trees then you out stuck area by yourself.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have had a 2wd plowing for a few years. The main problem I see with doing driveways is the backdragging. If you pull to much snow backwards and lift the plow you will have a hard time getting going again.

We had some heavy snowfalls for our area last year and never had to pull the truck out. It got stuck a couple of times but he always managed to get himself out.

We were using a 3500 flat deck with 24 patio stones on the deck.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you plow with a 2wd- sure. I try to plow in 2wd as much as possible

Is it the best idea- no. Since your truck is only 2wd when it gets tough pushing or you have to drive though snow you can't push that button or reach down and toss the transfer case into 4hi or 4lo.

Anytime you have to drive across unplowed snow, uphill while plowing, backdragging then going forward over your pile, backing up hills, etc you will be at a disadvantage over a truck with the option of 4wd.

I'd say if you had a 4wd and the 2wd was your backup truck it may be worth it. I just see problems when your front line truck is 2wd. There are a few guys on here who plow well with 2wd trucks. When they start off a run with a full vbox the truck should push awesome, well by the end of the run when your vbox is almost empty it's not going to push so awesome anymore.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I wouldnt. I tried plowing with a 550 dump last year in 2wd and It was fine on flat surfaces with not much snow but anytime I got a decent pile in front of the plow or had to backdrag loading docks or driveways all 4 duals would just spin.
  7. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

what are the specs of your truck 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton Does it have an open differential in the back that if you end up on an Ice patch on one side your sitting there spining?

How big a blade you want to put on it.

Is this truck your daily Driver and how far is your communte?

Due you want to haul around a bed full of weight all winter in the truck?

Have tire chains that you can put on the rear wheels?

just some Questions you need to ask yourself about wanting to Plow with a 2WD truck

for what its worth,

I just a noob on truck's with plows
    I stick to my ATV
    but there ya go.
    sublime out.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

small drives with a 2WD will be a big pain. no room to get a run and too small of an area for a 2wd to work very well. save your money and get a 4X4.
  9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Thats very true statement inclines (loading docks) or even a driveway will become a problem .