1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jlouki01, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I am looking at a 95 GMC 3500 dually dump plow truck. Formerly owned by a township. Strobes, auger, 10ft plow. It appears that it is only 2wd?? Can you even plow with a 2wd truck like that?

If I remember right it had an Meyer E47 operating platform on it.
  2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Yes you can plow with it, but this is something you really need to think about before you buy. Plowing praking lots where you can build up some speed and on flat ground youll be fine. But when you get into doing drives and such many times you will wish you had a 4x4. Personally i wouldnt touch any truck (light duty truck) without 4x4 unless it was to be used for parking lots and nothing else, or salting. Just some thought for you hope it helps out.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, it is possible to plow with a 2wd. You just need lots and lots of weight, good tires and a skilled driver. If the truck was owned by a township or municipal outfit it probably pushed snow really well while doing 10-20mph going down the street without having to stop or go back and forth all the time. The getting going from a dead stop while pushing may be tough though.

Edit, Ford6.9 posted about 5 seconds before me so sorry for all the repeating.
  4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you can with that truck. A member on here ( BNC ) has a dually dump with 2wd. He actually has a movie of it in action. Looks like it did a good job. But with weight in the dump. I also plowed last year in 2wd, the snow was wet and heavy. I had to make a lot of sharp turns. So i left it in 2wd. Worked beautiful. I didn't beat the hell out of it either. And that truck was a K5 Blazer , V8, very little weight ( a tailgate spreader about 150# and about 100# in sand bags) in the rear, with a 7'6" straight blade hanging off the front. Good luck. Post some pictures. Rich
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think its Grassbusters that has the dump.
    To see the truck find any post from him and click the link in his sig, it will bring you to another page and its the long like 20 min video. (skip to the middle)
  6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I just figured that out Mark thanks.It is Grassbusters. I watched the movie again but i couldn't tell who's it was. I had to go back and look at his old posts. If you want to check that movie out of the dump in action. Here is the link to the movie. it is the top link, about 12:20 in to the movie you will see it. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=43768 Good luck Rich
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't suggest donuts though in a dump truck with a plow that big off the front. I am also thinking that donuts is how BNC got the dent in the side of his pickup box, I think he and grass collided.