1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by sectlandscaping, Dec 21, 2013.

1. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I just bought a 04 f350 dsl at auction before I realized it was 2wd. Not sure what to do here. Its a nice truck and I got it for a 1/3rd of KBB. What would you do? Sell it? Try it? Keep it for other stuff?

The tires are brand new, no rust, nice clean truck. I could use it to pull the landscaping trailer in the summer but other then that its limited. Drivers are telling me the 2wd doesnt matter WITH WEIGHT but they also always have the benefit to put 4x4 on when needed and have about a 1/2 ton on the ass end.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sell it!

You couldn't tell it was 2wd by looking at it?
  3. sectlandscaping

never looked at this one. It was about a 100 ft away and about to sell for nothing. I looked at the truck and price and started bidding. It was really a split second decision.

I think I can make 5k profit on selling. Even the trade in is 9-11k. If I was looking for new that would be the way to go.

It wouldnt really be a dedicated plow truck either. I was replacing the back up truck which developed to many problems. I can put a sander and plow on and do salt runs and clean up with it.

The reason I asked is my buddy drove for me for 2 winters with no 4x4. The only time he had problems was plowing hills and Nemo.
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

4x4 swap??
  5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

If you think it's in good enough shape to be your main truck then I say do a 4x4 swap.

Yes I know it's your backup, but I'm only saying that if it's good enough to have been your main truck then it's worth the swap, if it's a little beat up then sell it and make the quick profit.
  6. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

You said no rust?? Looks like the rust has rotted through the body in the usual spot above the wheel. If you can make that kind of profit sell it.
  7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sell it especially if you think you can make a decent profit. You can buy a decent 4x4 diesel Ford for $10-15k
  8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I see rust.....
  9. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see rust,I see a hole

I didn't know they made a two wheel drive Super Duty
  11. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

I've plowed a bit with my Superduty in 2wd with a bit of salt and some snowblowers in the back and just cleaning up it does fine. If your ever in a pinch where you need it to clear a real amount of snow then you are screwed. I'd sell it to make a profit, and get something different.

A 4wd swap isn't really worth the hassle of getting someone to do it. You're already part way into the season and rounding up parts and someone to do labor on that kind of job isn't worth the stress.
  12. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Sell it. Deff sell it
  13. sectlandscaping

lol you know every ford rust right there. Thats a easy fix with fender flares. I was talking frame, axle, exhaust, differential, you know parts that arent easy to replace or costly.

4x4 swap sounds like a bit to much work to do. I could see if a used dealer will do a straight swap for a 02-03 with 4x4. I doubt it though.
  14. alcoman50

alcoman50 Senior Member

sell it and get a 4x4
  15. birddseedd

Dealer will only do it if they can get more money selling your truck than they can selling the one they have.
  16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ya think so!
  17. birddseedd

Yes, i think so, why else would i have said it?
  18. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

It's called sarcasm birdbrain.
  19. birddseedd

youll have to forgive me. i take so much flak here for not being a big outfit; it gets hard to tell what the meaning is behind posts like that
  20. bad5oh

bad5oh Junior Member

I would also sell it for a 4wd truck but if it's only a backup, then there is another option.

They sell hubs to do a dually conversion. The typical rust on the wheel wells is already showing. Why not make it a dually to plow and make a flatbed with sides to haul grass or whatever while hauling the landscape trailer? If you got the truck cheap enough, it may be worth looking into. Ford even made factory shortbed duallys so fenders are available

As for KBB, unless you are trading it in or buying it from a dealer, take the KBB number and toss it out the window. Search around and see what these trucks are actually selling for in our area. Maybe you will make a great profit or you may find out that these trucks are selling for a lot less than KBB. In our area, a 2wd single wheel pickup is not exactly a desired truck diesel or not.

But all that rant aside, If you can dump it and make money then do it and buy a 4x4 already done. Def a quicker option without tearing a truck apart