1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd or 4wd

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dieselman, Oct 11, 2004.

1. dieselman

dieselman Junior Member

is a 2 wheel drive truck any good for plowing?

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

For the most part No... But it depends on the truck, what kind of 2wd truck do you have? If its a heavy truck then you would be Ok with alot of weight in the back and maybe tire chains. Someone in my town has a chevy K3500 DRW with a plow but he mainly does sanding with it, i ended up pulling that truck out once last winter. When it comes to 2wd pick ups, i would be too worried about getting stuck.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If 2wd trucks were any good for plowing, everybody would be using them. Cheaper than 4wd. Make sense?

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

In snow country a 2wd pickup is about as useless an item as I could imagine. It is useless in snow without a plow. Everytime I see one here in the winter sitting there spinning in 2 inches of snow I know the driver is saying. Next time it's 4wd for sure.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

2wd :nono: 4wd :nod:

6. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

take a 2wd pick up out for ride in the snow see if it MOVES in 8 inch of snow :eek:

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

My first plow truck was 2wd. Put 1200 lbs of ballast plus a skid of salt. The only time it was stuck is when one of my guys tried pushing over the top of a pile. Ended up with the plow hooked over the top of the pile and the spreader sitting on the ground.

But,,,I am in S.W. Ohio so we don't get a lot of snow....

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

:eek: Was it a 1/2 ton? Or a 2 1/2 ton?

9. mo snowboy

mo snowboy Junior Member

2wd

For the last 5 years we have used F550's with 2wd. They worked fine, except going uphill. All of ours had spreaders (4 yarders) so when we needed traction we just loaded up the spreaders.

This year we are replacing and going with 4wd but they worked better than nothing.

we don't get many 6+ inch snow storms in missouri so you have to weigh out my advice considering that.

10. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

yeah it be fun ride just like all other two wheel drive cars!! :eek: :eek: