1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2WD or 4WD...is the ...?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Turf Commando, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Which one is better a 4WD Ranger or F-150 2 WD for plowing...?
    I'd like to say the F-150 since it's heavier, but 4WD is the snow plowers best friend...Joe
  2. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I would rather be in a 4WD Ranger than a 2WD 150. Don't waste your time in a 2WD pickup. They aren't made for snow plowing.
  3. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Do you own the vehicles? A 4x4 F150 can be bought at a price close to that of an equivelantly equipped Ranger.:salute:
  4. Turf Commando

Not yet...!
    I plan to get a truck in the near future for lawn service/ snow removal ..:salute:
  5. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

What will the truck be pulling for lawn service duty? No trailer, open trailer or enclosed? How long and how heavy? You can get those trailers moving with a small truck, but getting them to stop is another matter.
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If your going to used the truck for plowing and towing. Spend the money and get a 3/4 ton. 1/2 ton 2wd suck for landscape work trucks. Been there and done that.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Itsgottobegreen is right on the money. Get a 3/4 ton and be done with it. 4 wheel drive of course.
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Exactly my very first thoughts when I read the first few posts on this thread, and then I came across the last two posts. these guys are definitely right on. There is alot more to 3/4 tons than just a heavier hauling capacity.
  9. Turf Commando

36' WB to start off with NO trailer...but that could change if business demanded a ZTR ..

I was just curious if a heavier truck (F-150) could push snow even if it's RWD.....
    The Ranger is my favorite compact truck due to it's versatility, fuel savings, etc...
  10. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

You can get by with any truck if you are going to be using only a 36" walk behind and only doing mowing and even pulling a small open trailer. The Ranger should do fine. If you get in to landscaping and mulch work you need a truck that can handle the daily rigors of towing bigger trailers and hauling heavier loads.

Like I said earlier, getting the trialer to stop is more important than getting it moving. A good 4WD 3/4 ton is the best in my opinion for a combination of lawn service and snowplowing. A 2WD pickup is just going to get you into trouble if you try to move snow. Only exception from most snow plowers is a one ton or larger dually with a spreader or lots of weight in the bed. Even then you need to be real carefull what you plow and it should be fairly flat.
  11. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

Buy the F-150 and put a Boss 9'2" v on it. Let us know how it does.
  12. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

My vote goes to the 4wd ranger. If it is fitted with an appropriate sized plow will actuall do well. With any decient amount of snow the 2wd will have a hard enough time getting around let alone be able to push anything, especially if it isn't a limited slip, but even thats not much help compaired to a 4wd
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That should work well. Looking forward to the pics.
  14. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

15. Turf Commando

It will be a while before I buy a different truck .
    Keeping an eye out for a used 4x4 Ranger or F-150 being sold by private party not (S)tealership...
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008