1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2WD for snowplowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snowdog21, Oct 22, 2009.

1. snowdog21

snowdog21 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 utility body full of tools. It's extremely heavy fully loaded over the back axel. Could I use it to snow plow? If so what are the suggestions?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sure...go ahead and do it.....lmao
    Try reading all the other posts about plowing with a 2WD,

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do some searches as Hydro mentioned

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would love to start up this whole thread again. I find it rather amusing, lol. I do have one suggestion for you though, if your going to use your 2 wd truck make sure you buy a big enough plow. May I suggest at least a 9 footer or so. Once you get that thing going your going to want to make sure you clear as much as possible cause it's gonna take a while to get going again.

5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi Snowdog,
    I've tried to use this wonderful search function for a long time and it is usless unless you have the exact words the computer wants. There has got to be a way to figure out what it wants. It brings up all kinds of stuff that has nothing to do with 2-WD plowing. I have searched many times but I couldn't get them to come up. Maybe if you read the 15 pages you might find one post if you don't have anything better to do.

I have plowed with 2-wd when the conditions are just right. A lot of guys do on PS. It is more dangerous if you are next to a building or a car and if the wheel spins and the back of the truck slide slideways. All that weigfht in the back is a plus. So if you don't have too much snow, go for it. Of course when the crap hits the fan and you are stuck, don't say we didn't tell you.

6. snowdog21

snowdog21 Junior Member

Well hell, the snickers tell it all! I was just wondering if it was an option. Pretty funny post lol! Take it easy fellas!

7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

When i have the vbox in my F350 truck bed loaded for bear...34-3600lbs in the bed, i NEVER plow in 4WD....because i dont have too, the thing is a fricken tank with all that weight back there, and i tell ya what it sure makes manuvering the truck ALOT nicer without the front end locked in and U joints bucking when trying to turn sharp LOL!!

If you had a large parking lot, put enough weight in the back and your fine, many many years ago a concrete company i worked for had 40 trucks and did massive snow removal for large lots...nothing but the 2WD flatbed trucks that we used in day to day summer operations, they'd load concrete barriers on the beds, strap them down and away we went...we were'nt doing residential drives or off camber hill climbs...just parking lots and they all did the job just fine...weight out back is key, and the more the better..only downfall is the wearing of the brakes due to increased weight yoru stopping.

not ideal, but can be done in the right situation without issues.

8. hydro_37

from iowa

Well if you READ before you post a question that has been answered ALOT of times you won't get all the smarta** answers.....lol

9. happydays

happydays Junior Member

2 wd

I like these post, gives me time to laugh and giggle

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

If you see my sig pic, #2 in line is a 2wd service truck. We push an 8'6 V plow with it and I can count on one hand how many times its spun the tires.

The jackasses that say it won't work just think they have the answers, but have never actually tried it. They weigh a lot, and the single wheeled ones are even better in the snow than the duallies. You'll be just fine. Just put a good driver in it that knows their limits, and run a good set of tires. I plow in 2wd most of the time with my 4x4s anyhow.

11. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

now i know its harder to plow in a dually due to size and all etc etc but unless I'm wrong (and i may be since this is still newer to me) wouldn't a dually create more traction due to more contact with the tires and road etc?

I would have thought a dually would get more traction then a SRW?

I know you can make a 2wd truck plow but what would cause the SRW truck to actually do better? vs. a dually which i would have thought got better traction. (other then it probably being harder to plow with a dually)?

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

B/c it splits the actual weight applied to the surface in half. Say the ass end of the truck weighs 3,000 lbs..........% 2 = 1,500lbs per tire. With a dually divide by 2 again, so there's only 750lbs of surface weight per tire vs 1,500.

You'd think having 4 vs 2 would be better or the same, but not the case. Tires aren't applying weight to the same surface. Now think about it this way, put 1,500lbs of weight on one tire and it'll be softer and stick to the ground vs 2 that are harder with 750lbs each.

Now I'm no physics major, maybe someone else could explain it a little better.

All I can say is drive one, they suck in the snow in 2wd unless you have some serious weight in them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

h2o is right on. A single wheel has a higher contact pressure than a dually. Some of the old timers still still take off the outside duals for plowing around here. Plowing can be done, and done with great success. Just have to know your limits. You're probably not going to want to try busting out a mountain side road with drifts two feet deep.

14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Just can't do truck wells, that's about it. Everything else can very successfully be done in 2wd.

15. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd say it's more of a challenge to get around in the winter with a dually than it is to push snow with a 2WD. It's amazing how quickly these big guys get stopped in their tracks due to reduced ground pressure and having weight spread out in the rear. Just something you have to experience i think.

16. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure they dont take off the dual cause the plow isnt wide enough? I know my dad was telling me back in the 70s his friend had a 1 ton dump and if he didnt take off the outside dual he would run over the snow.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Might do it for that reason too. Need bigguh plow, bub.

18. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Yah, might have been a Chevy too, so he had to put a small plow on it, couldnt handle a big plow :laughing:

19. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

if you have good tires a good load and a good limited slip as long as you keep up with the snow meaning your not pushing a foot at a time you will be fine. try to get work that you are paid by the hour not by the push this way you can take your time you will be good to go. i never use 4wd plowing

20. hydro_37

from iowa

Anybody that has a 4X4 and plows snow and says they NEVER use the 4X4 is lieing.
    Yes I plow alot in 2WD but I use 4X4 too.
    First time you try piling snow or run into a snow bank you will be stuck in a 2WD.