1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2WD for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well here is the deal, I bought an 85 F250 diesel, 2wd, manuel transmission truck last year for next to nothing. We used it for a salt truck, and that is it.

I would like to add 1, mabey 2, plow trucks this year, and was wondering if I could find a used plow for this thing would be worth it or not? It has a salter in the back for weight, and it would only be used as a "back-up".

I think I already know the answer..... Bossman

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Go to a junkyard and in a weekend you can convert it to 4wd,,,,KIDDING before I get slaughtered.

Seriously, If you got the truck for next to nothing and can throw a plow on it for next to nothing you mind as well do it as the turkc will quickly pay for itself. With a salter and as much weight as you can put on it with a new set of blizzaks you should be fine I try to plow as much as I can in 2wd, until ireally need the 4wheel, 1$ - 98 cents = My.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Chris 100%. There was a guy in our area who plowed for years with an old C-30. Just stick to paved parking lots if you can, and keep a set of chains handy if it gets real nasty.

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I can push about 95% of all the snows we get in 2WD as long as I have something in the Vbox. I would give it a shot.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I used 2 of my salt trucks for years plowing in 2wd. The only reason I stopped was we got so busy they had to salt full time to keep up. One even had a 9'6" Fisher Vee on it.

You will be fine. Maybe not up hill pushing and watch out back blading.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The biggest problem is - You have to push downhill and get stuck or otherwise have to back up. Now you'll have to back uphill. To do this, you'll lift the plow; shifting most of the weight to the front wheels where there is no drive action. Your rear wheels have very little to no weight. Even the weight of a full V-box is offset by the weight of the plow and the angle of the hill.

Stay on level lots/roads.

7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds great! Truthfully, that wasn't the answer I expected. It's not anything to look at, but mechanically, it sound. The body isn't rusted through, anymore :D,

Well now then, what size plow would you guys reccomend?

Bossman

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

8' straight to 8.5' Vee. You COULD go to 9' if you want. Bigger factor is the weight of the plow.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds like were your plowing it will be salted, so it should be bare gravel or pavement. As long as you keep the salt spreader in the back it should work fine.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Mick. Don't go crazy.

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

just remember "back-up" trucks are never really back-up trucks... That thing will have a full plow route before you know it... 1 things fursure, I'd say put a posi in it (if it dosent have 1 already)... if not I think that thing will be a headach maker...