1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Jan 7, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I think I already know what the answer is going to be for this question but Im curious as to your thought. I own a 98 Ford F150 2WD and was curious if it would be a bad idea to put a 7.5' Western plow on this vehicle? It would mainly be used for my residential accounts. Thanks

2. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

Yes it is a bad idea.

3. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

yes do not do it.no matter what any one says there are to many problems to deal with two right off the bat are
    1 lack of tracktion i dont care how much weight you put in it.
    2 not made for plowing it will over heat

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Even with chains it's going to be difficult. After you get stuck a few times you will wish for 4wd. I run a 3500 dual rear wheel dump with a salting rig for open lots and I got stuck on a patch of ice at the Wawa last year. Now I always keep the 3500 near the 4wds.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

can you say new transmission and rear end

6. badranman

badranman Senior Member

If you are into wasting your time and cursing alot well then by all means go ahead and enjoy.

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Some people do it but they always complain later. Not a good idea.:nono:

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think it's only worth plowing with 2wd if you have a larger truck like a dually and are doing parking lots or roads and are usually on flat ground and always moving. With a 1/2 ton truck the front end would be hard pressed to take the weight and as already mentioned, the transmission and even rear end would complain after little use. Either get a 4x4 or a dually. Nick.

9. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

The only 2WD I would recommend plowing with is atleast a F-350 or above and that pushing it. :rolleyes:

10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

correct me if I am wrong, but I was told my more than one person (including a Ford Mech.) that the frames on the f-150 were very weak for that body style, along with the front end.

Western even made a special blade called the wheel blade just for the f-150. The blade rested on a tire, so it did not put much weight on it. I never saw one. And I don't think western sold more than 2 of them.

As for the 4 wheel drive, or lack of. You will get stuck. Happens to me all the time when I put my truck in 2.

11. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

get a 4x4 3/4 ton or bigger size truck. 2wd will not plow good

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

A 2wd 1/2 ton in snow is a useless vehicle on it's own. Wouldn't own one if I didn't plow. However you can get a plow for a 2wd 1/2 ton that is of some use. Put it in the bed for weight and traction and you might get out of your driveway. Please don't even hint to anybody they could plow with it.