1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd f450?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 94chevy2500, Feb 14, 2011.

1. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

ok heres a truck that im looking at he wants 5000 obo its a power stroke 7.3 turbo with just over 200k miles its 2WD would it be a good plow truck or not i will have a sander in the back

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

thats a nice looking truck

yes and no

yes if your doing parking lots big lots with room to maneuver

no if your doing small lots cause if you come around a corner and theres grass on the side and you somehow slide into it or any way you get stuck you aint getting your self out
    but you do have a spreader in the back the weight of that will keep your tires in the back on the ground so .

so all in all i would buy it but im a big fan of 4wd. 4wheel anything

im actually looking for a truck like that and that style but 4 wheel cause a friend of mine wants to put a tow truck on it so when he recovers cars out of backyards because he does junk car pickup.
  3. 94chevy2500

all my lots have like 4 inch curbs and there will be 2 tons of sand salt mix i realy like the truck from the pics but i have t see it in person first im woundering if i studed the rear tires? also how hard would it be to convert it to 4x4 if it dosnt plow good?
  4. 94chevy2500

is the frame the same as a f350 ?
  5. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I plow with a 99 F450 2wd and while the truck will get the job done i find i really need to pick my battles and take my time compared to plowing with one of my 4x4 trucks. Because of this i'm thinking the truck will be resigned to sander/backup duty next year in favor of a 4x4. I have a buddy who recently converted his 2wd F550 to a 4x4 and by the time you add up the cost of the parts (axle, transfer case, transmission tailshaft, driveshaft, tires, and misc stuff) to say it's cost prohibitive is an understatement. Short of wanting to do it just for the sake of the project itself i would keep looking around for a 4x4.