1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd F150?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by operator exmark, Aug 30, 2006.

1. operator exmark

operator exmark Junior Member

I am thinking of doing residential snow removal this year. I have a '90 2wd F150 and I was wondering if anyone plows with 2wd half-tons. I normally plow my gravel drive with a garden tractor. If we get more than 8" (rare in south east Pa) I plow twice. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'll answer your question first...no. the only 2x4 i would reccomend plowing with would be a 1 ton with a v box on the back or lots of ballast. i would hang a plow on a motorcycle before you try with a 1/2 ton 2x4. hower you could utilize your truck buy using it to haul your blower or shovels around. just get a set of chains or carry around lots of salt.

3. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

definately not possible to plow with a half ton pickup highly recomend 4x4

4. sefh

sefh Senior Member

You would have better luck with an ATV with a plow than with a 1/2 ton 2x4.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Pretty much no way. I would be worried plowing with a '90 F150 4X4, so especially no on the 2wd.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

The 2wd F150 I have is not great in the snow. The dodge dakota 2wd that I had but sold did AWSOME in the snow and I was going to put a plow on it if I didnt sell it. I would not recomend plowing with a 2wd F150 but heck, if you think it drives well in the snow, why not try to find a cheap light duty plow and give it a try.

Where are you in SE PA?

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Be aware of the main problem when plowing with a 2wd. It may be absolutely great in snow. Then you put a plow on it and can't go anywhere let alone push snow. Why? Because of weight distribution. Putting a plow on it brings all the weight off the very place you need it, assuming it's a rear wheel drive. Ballast will help to some extent. But if you get off level ground, even ballast won't help that much because now you're pushing with only one wheel (if you weren't already) and it's likely buried in snow or on ice. Now, you need that front wheel to help pull the rear one out of its dilemna.

Anything other than roads, you will need 4wd. I just don't have any driveways that can be done strictly with 2wd. And I'm using a one ton dual rear wheel. I do know a guy who does driveways with a similar truck with 2wd. But he has a concrete slab on the flatbed which I'd guess at 1,000 pounds. And he's very selective on the accounts he'll take.

8. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i plow with a F150 in 2wd as much as possable !!!

that being said , a little ice under the snow , wet snow , more then 3 inches ... my tuck will just sit there and spin the wheels untill i put it 4wd.

JMHO i wouldn't put a plow on any 2x4 truck.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Forget it sell that truck buy a 4x4 with plow

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

One other thing that alot of people forget besides the traction is that the front ends on 2wd are much light duty even with 3/4 ton and up trucks.

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would not even consider it. You will need 4WD no matter what you are plowing if your using a 1/2 ton. The idea that you rarely get more than 8" of snow goes right out the window when (not if) it happens. Your customers will expect the same of you no matter what. In theory its nice to say "I will plow enough times so that iam never pushing more than 4" and it can be a good practice to get into but you never know what nature is going to do. You need to be prepared for drifts, ice, mounds left by city/state plows, and what are you going to do when you get that 2 foot plus storm??? You wont be able to move. There have been storms where I could not even drive on the roads without 4WD.

As Mick said, even a one ton with ballast has its limits in 2WD. As soon as you get any kind of incline you can forget about it, all your accounts would have to be completely flat and you would have to pray that all the snow you get is powder and not over 3-4 inches, and the powder part is unlikely in SE PA.

Iam not trying to discourage you, if you can name a stupid thing that you could do with a 1/2 ton, ive probably considered it but take my and the other members word for it, plowing with a 2WD 1/2 ton would be nothing but problems and lots of $$$ in the local tow truck operators pocket.

12. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

No way. Don't even think about it.

You have to have 4X4 to plow except with a dually with large amounts of ballast. I plowed last year with a Dodge 3500 Dually 4X4 (no ballast), and yes, even during the heavy, wet snow falls I got that sucker stuck 4 times on some of the larger commercial lots..