1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd Dump truck questions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by greenbean, Nov 21, 2005.

1. greenbean

greenbean Junior Member
    from Ma

I have a 2wd chevy 3500 HD dump truck and I want to plow it has 9.5 blade do i need chains or is it impossible.
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

We have sanders in the back of our 2wd trucks. You would just need weight over the rear axle. :cool:
  3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I agree

I would say a good set of tires and some weight and you should be ok.A set of chains might not be a bad idea either.I am planning on a set for mine just in case.
  4. 3 years and never a problem....just make sure you have weight in the bed:drinkup:

new pf.JPG
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Had a 1976 F350 2 WD with a 4 speed and manual stearing w/8' meyer all hydrolic plow. with no load it would get stuck on leval ground with studded snow tires on it. the waight of the blade in front of the truck took some waight off the rear tires causing it to spinn all the time. it would plow great as long as there was at least 1 ton of sand in the back and had chains.
    But boy what a work out.
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Put a vbox in it or at least 1200 lbs. That thing can carry some weight right. 19.5" tires? If you aren't pushing for a town, state etc. ie going straight and forward 99% of the time, be very careful about where you stop. You can get stuck easier than you think, and once you are, welll, your stuck. Maybe you could put a air locker in the rear axle or something if you're worried about getting stuck.
  7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

We use 2wd with no problems......Weight is the KEY
  8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

We use a 2wd GMC 3500 dually dump, as stated above, we put a full vee box in it and it is primarily a salt rig that plows. We rarely send it out on its own as it has been stuck a few times. It's great for big parking lots. It slid off a driveway and got stuck. We keep it paired up w/ 4wd. I would be nervous if it was my only truck and I had primary responsibility for a commercial lot.
  9. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Isuzu npr hd diesel here. 9 ft blade, 2-6 thousand lbs of sand in the dump body, good rubber, no traction problems at all! commercial plowing only!
  10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

They will push snow all over the countryside. ...Just stay out of the loading docks. That is where t=you will find your difficulty factor. Back down and push out - then pull forward down and pull the furthest stuff back.
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Weight, weight, weight! and stay far away from back dragging loading docks. A lot of guys around here have 2wd some run chains some don't. Hopefully atleast it has a locking rear differential.
  12. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I'll agree with these guys; weight in the bed and good tires.