1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd dually or 4x4 dually

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by badbowtie, Sep 19, 2013.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I have a 87 gmc 3500 4 speed with standard cab and 9 foot flat/dump bed on the back. It is only 2wd and I would like to buy new rear tires for it since it needs them anyway. I have a good connection on a good meyer 7.5 plow with the side extensions that make it 9' wide. It is one of the styles that the light bar and pump stay attached to truck when you unhook plow from what I am told. I also have a 99 k3500 crew cab long bed dually that is 4x4 which is my everyday driver. The plow bracket is for a 79 chevy so should fit 87 with out mods not sure what is involved to fab brackets for it to fit 99.
    I think it would be allot easier to just mount to the 87 but I am afraid being 2wd I will spend more time stuck. I am not looking to plow 50 places. I am more really thinking my 1500 gravel drive way that is down hill. Which I figured as long as truck is sitting at house I should beable to push snow all the way to the bottom. I also may plow a couple more driveways and couple blacktop lots in town nothing very big at all. For guys that have or still do plow with 2wd duallys. What would you say?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My 3500 dually is a 4x4....but the only time you need 4wd is on hills of if the salter is close to empty. I would use the 2wd & put a bunch of weight in it.

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the site. If it were me I would try to find a plow that fits the 4x4.A lot of people plow with two wheel drive but if you have hills you might have problems. You will be able to get out of your drive but after you go to town it might be still snowing and when you get home you might have trouble getting back up the hill. If you do plow with the 2 wheel drive load it up good and get some tire chains so if it gets bad you can still get around. My 3500 has 4 wheel . I dont use it all the time but its nice to have when you need it. Theres nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of a storm.

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I would never use only a 2wd. We do use a 2wd dually but it works large open areas and always has a 4x4 close by just in case.

5. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

I really need to see what is involved in maybe modding the bracket to make it fit my 99. I live in the country so even thow I am only 3/4 mile from the state route it can be hours before they seem to plow it. 2wd kinda more worries me about getting to town to even plow or anything being 2wd. I am really thinking 2-3k pounds in the bed of my 99 and 4x4 I should beable to go and do about anything. I would like to hear from anybody that has taken the bracket for a 79 3/4 ton truck fit a 99 1 ton.

6. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Okay well for a update I ended up getting the plow last night. But I ended up buying the whole truck so know I am already setup up. It is a 79 chevy 1/2 ton standard cab short bed 4x4 with 350/350 66K miles. Runs great just needs usual rust repair.

7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like that will work for ya

8. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

Okay change of plan again truck is worse that I have the time for right know. I removed plow and everything last night which is style that bolts behind bumper. I guess figure out how to mount it to my 87 dually and put firestone winterforce tires and about 4-5K in the bed and try it this year. I am not sure why but nothing looks the same on the frame from 79 k10 4x4 as the 87 gmc 3500 4x2. If I could figure out how to mount it to my 99 3500 4x4 with a quick detach that I don't have to pull bumper and mount behind there I would probably do that. I believe the old schoold that mounts behind the bumper is called classic mount do they make conversion kits for it.

9. badbowtie

badbowtie Senior Member

You guys have convinced me I really want 4x4 so I bought the frame bracket for the tube style plow ez classic So know I need to find just the hoop and use my pump and lights or weld the round tube onto the pump bracket I have.

10. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Id find a way to get the 4x4 99 working with the plow, or a plow for that matter. There is nothing worse than having people relying on you to plow them out and either cant get the job done due to a insufficient plow setup or your stuck. You can bomb around in 2wd to save on fuel till you need 4wd or just use 4wd all the time during the storm but if you have a 2wd vehicle, you never have the option of going to 4wd. Ive welded up my older style plow onto my newer vehicle with a custom mount and it has lasted 4 years with 20 driveways with no issues, just over build it a little. And also, you can never tell what the year has in storm for you in regards to snow fall amounts and blizzards and the like. I know we got hit with a 30" storm last year that taxed the **** out of my equipment and am so glad that I over prepared a little and went with the proper tools to get the job done, no matter what mother nature decides to throw at us.