1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd Chevy 2500HD Plowing 6.0

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MinnesotaMan, Dec 14, 2010.

1. MinnesotaMan

MinnesotaMan Junior Member

I am in need of an additional plow truck. I have a Chevy 2500HD that is 2wd and would like to make this into the additional plow truck.

The truck has the 6.0 engine - Brand new all terrain tires - 500 pound of weight in the bad and is an automatic with 4:10 gears in the rear end.

Could anyone give me some tips towards making this truck work as a plow truck?

Would a V-Plow be better and easier to plow with than a straight blade.

Thank you!
  2. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Very raarely do I ever low in 4WD when I have my F350 loaded with the salt dogg v-box and 3400lbs of salt....that much weight in the bed makes a truck a tank. I dont think I'd take it into gravel roads, out in the country to plow open lanes, but for "typical" commercial parking lots, they work great...we have a TON of 2WD trucks driving around plowing large commercial lots. Most are all concrete crew trucks-flatbed dually's, loaded with ALOT of weight of some sort...have seem mafia blocks chanied down (the big concrete 2x2x4 blocks), salt spreaders heaping, etc...weight and flat ground.
  3. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

I don't know how much weight your front end can handle, being a 2wd. It sits lower as it's only 2wd. even the 4wd 2500's sit low. you'll have to beef up the front end. Get a straight blade, as this will be lighter than a v. if you're doing level blacktop, you should be alright. If you're doing gravel on an incline, you might not. Good luck
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

IMO I would not try to plow with a 2wd.I have my truck loaded with a salter and 90% of the time I plow in 2wd, but the times you need 4X4 you will be pissed you dont have it.
  5. MinnesotaMan

I plow black top roads, parking lots and driveways.

Do you think 1,000 pound in the bed would be sufficient, or should I go heavier?

6. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Like 09Busa said do something to the front end and load a sh!t load of ballest into it, like 1000lbs+ and be very careful, good tires will help to.
  7. MinnesotaMan

If the road or lot is packed with snow, would chains on the rear tires help? Or do most people frown on chains?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think chains are legal in Minnesota, I would find a 4x4 truck myself
  9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I plow in 2WD most of the time and save 4WD for getting myself out of trouble. I have 700 lbs of ballast and a straight blade plow.

If you do go with the 2WD truck, you should probably plan on installing Timbrens to help carry the weight in the front end.
  10. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I plow with a 2003 Chevy 2500hd, it is usually in 2wd. I alway carry about 40bags of rock salt in the back. You should be able to plow 2-5 inches with no problem. Just dont let the snow pile up and be there quick if you get the heavy wet stuff.