1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd 96 chevy dually 3500 for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kootoomootoo, Oct 5, 2003.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

Hey guys,

How suitable would my 2wd 96 chevy dually 3500 box truck be for plowing.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think it would be a pain unless your doing roads then you would still have to have some weight put into it.And then beef up the front end so it will not drop when you raise the plow.

3. Santo

Santo Banned

A set of chains will make any truck a plow truck. Believe me I'v had to do it before. I lost a front driveshaft a while back and had to improvise. Steering is a bit difficult but it will stack em .

4. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

Get a big PLOW to keep from having to get to close to things with the box. and add lots and lots of wieght and a good set of SNOW TIRES. you should be OK. have fun backing up:waving:

5. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

I will only do a few commercial sites ....supermarket lots etc.
    I figure a ton of salt and a salt spreader in the back will do the trick as far as weight. Please explain what you mean by chains. Pardon my ignorance as I have always lived in the south.
    I could also take the box off and stick a flat or dump bed on.

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Do you use the box truck for other things, your saying you could take the box off? If you don't need that truck why not just sell it and buy a used pick up with fourwheel drive. Another option could be to buy a cheap truck for this year and then next year upgrade to a nicer truck. The box will be hard to plow with because of the height and if you want to put a sander in you will ahve to fill it with bags because it will be inside the truck. Tire chains wrap around the tires and ussually have cables to hold them tight. If you look in JC whitney or any automotive supply magazine they should have them.
    Hope that helps
    Eric

7. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

i would go with the flat/dump body much easier to load salt, also much easier to see around. I would want at least 2 tons back there if it were mine!
    hope that helps

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How suitable? Not very

Can it be done? Yes, if you have experience with plowing, use chains, plenty of ballast and stay on fairly flat surfaces. Visibility is very poor and the likelihood of an accident are high, especially since you'll be in commercial lots. You'll have other drivers around in your blind spots. If you're considering taking the box off and buying another body for this one, I'd suggest selling this one and buying a 3/4 ton 4X4, then get a box for that one.

You said you've always lived in the South. If that means you have little to no experience pushing snow, then you need all the advantage you can get. That means also the right equipment - which a box truck isn't. I would also suggest you rethink taking on commercial lots at this point. Better to stick with driveways for the experience.

Just some friendly advise - of course, you do what you want.