1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd 580 hoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by white diamonds, Feb 10, 2011.

1. white diamonds

white diamonds Junior Member
    from pgh, pa

Anyone out their have ever use a 2wd 580 backhoe with chains? I have a10ft pusher for it and was wondering if it would be effective pushing a large lot slightly up hill? I dont use hoes enough to justify a 4wd purchase.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't say for sure, but in my opinion, I don't think a 2 wd hoe is going to do the job. Even with chains I have to think your going to be in trouble. The weight of a reasonable snow is going to bog you down to much with just the bucket, let alone a 10 ft pusher.

3. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare Junior Member

If it,s a dry snow you should be fine but if it,s a wet snow your in trouble and if it gets ice under the snow no way. I would sell your 2wd and get a 4wd. Good Luck

4. Florida08

Florida08 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Talk to DellDoug. I think he runs a few of them. He could probably tell you.

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I have a deere 300B 2wd tractor with a large stone counterweight. The thing will majorly outperform my neighbors skid (which is 4x4), and it will outpush my truck. With ice, chains will be far better than 2 more rotating wheels. My machine would easily handle an 8 foot pusher, and it is smaller than the one you are thinking about. The one big drawback to the 2wd is that it is difficult to steer, especially with a load. Uphill slightly will be fine, as long as you have straight pushes it will work. Are there split brakes on that machine? Chains will also require you to slow down, as the ride can get quite rough.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have a 310 b john deere , 2 wd very similar to the 580 , pushes fine until it gets icy , put on the chains and its pretty much unstoppable . Would I like a 4wd machine , sure , but the one I have is paid for all it does is push snow and work around the shop .