1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd 4wd tranny?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milwaukeevtwin, Sep 14, 2010.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

:mechanic:I have a 93 chevy that i bought for parts and the tranny has overdrive. This is two wheel drive. I have a 91 chevy that is four wheel drive with over drive and the tranny is starting to go out. Can these be inter changed? It looks like the tails have to be changed? Has anybody done this? Thanks, For any help.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

6 or 8-lug trucks? If they're 6 lug no, 8 lug yes it's do-able but it requires an output shaft change which requires a complete trans tear down since the output is the second thing that goes in the case.

3. milwaukeevtwin

8 lug. So another words. You are telling me it is cheaper to buy or rebuild the one that is in there? Sounds like it would have to go to a tranny shop?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In the long run you'd be further ahead to fix the trans in it, because if you can't source the needed output you'll have to also disassemble the other one just to get it. So, pulling two transmissions and paying a trans shop to disassemble both of them to re-assemble one to make the unit you need.....and all you have is a used transmission for the time and cost. Better to put it toward a fresh trans if you need this truck to be dependable for years to come.

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

B&B correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 93 when the 4l60's and 80's started??

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

80E's were first introduced in '91 (the SS454 trucks were one of the first to get them) but the 60E's weren't available until '93, and only in the 1/2 tons of course.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ahhhhh nice :)

8. milwaukeevtwin

Thanks, Off to be rebuilt.ussmileyflag