1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd 4500 owners come on in!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by matts lawncare, Nov 4, 2006.

1. matts lawncare

matts lawncare Junior Member

ok so i have a 4500 dump truck that i am thinking about using for plowing we do not run a large salt spreader so it will be somthing else in the bed for ballast so basically my question is if i have the proper amount of weight in the bed will this truck do well plowing on for the most part flat ground

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Should do fine with good rubber and alot of ballast weight.

3. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

great plow truck

I have plowed with a 2wd international dump truck for 4 or 5 years. I put 3 tons of gravel in the bed and i carry a good heavy set of chains and blocks

4. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

oh by the way we are pushing a 10.5 ft myer commerical plow

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Having chains available to put on the truck will make a huge difference. As long as you're not traveling at high speeds, the chains should help alot in big storms. If you're not familiar with putting them on, do a couple practice runs. It isn't fun putting them on in a storm for the first time.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

chians might not be legal in indiana.

7. matts lawncare

i dont think they are here for the most part i try not to do dumb things while plowing i have plowed the last three years with a 3500 2wd and never got stuck so hopefully this will work well too we are already purchasing another truck and a second one is out of the question right now so hopefully the 4500 will work well thanks to all that posted

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have 3 4500's. All have Western 9' pro plus plows. They work GREAT. Your high up and have great visibility. On the flat bed we put 2 tons of angle stone (no limestone) and it worked good. you just have to put these trucks on the right lot. Lowes, strip malls and big lots . A bubby of mine put a big v blade on his and it only lasted a year. You realy need a strong big plow for them, .:bluebounc :bluebounc

9. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

You mean the blade failed after a year? Wow!

10. matts lawncare

thanx alot that exactly the response i was looking for and yes the pro plus is i belive the only way to go i have a 8ft on a 2500 which i bought for one of our drives to use and i ended up takin that and giving him the boss v with the back drag and the wings it really makes life easy and ya as far as the plowing goes it will be a few large stoarge facilities and then some town house comuntites but just the road not the drives

11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yep, the plow was broke more than up and running. I dont remember if it was a Boss or western. Last year he put a Pro plus on it and welded up the V and uses it as a back up

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have customers pushing 10 foot Snoways with 4500 chevys with great success.