1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd 3/4 ton Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bigskytom, Dec 29, 2006.

1. bigskytom

bigskytom Junior Member
    from Montana

We have an older Chevy 2wd 'camper special' that we use in the summer for lawn care, and I am wondering your thoughts on trying to plow with this rig next year. If I do this I would put a spreader in the back first. Would that weight counter the the lack of 4wd? It is legal to run studded tires out here and we really don't salt anything but walkways, so the spreader would be loaded with sand.
    We only do condos and smaller apartment buildings, no big lots with long runs.
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't even bother with it. Sometimes you don't need 4wd, but sometimes you do. The times you need are the times that you wish that you had it. Once you are stuck you are stuck. Sometimes you can get stuck in smaller areas easier than big lots.
  3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

i know it might not fufill every duty, but how a bout a snobear?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No. Once you lose traction, no amount of ballast will counter the lack of 4wd. Up to that point, yes, ballast will help. The question about plowing with 2wd comes up here about ten thousand times a year and the answer hasn't changed in the past six years. If you want to plow with a 2wd, stay on flat, level surfaces. If you're plowing driveways and lots like most, get a 4wd and leave the 2wd parked till Spring. Think about it - if plowing with 2wd was feasable, more guys would be using it.

You say you'd "only do condos and smaller apartment buildings, no big lots with long runs". Actually, you'll need 4wd more in your circumstances; with 2wd, you'd be better off in big lots with long runs. There, you would be using the truck's momentum. In the setting you are, you'll need the added transfer of power to the tires affected by 4wd.
  5. Ding

Ding Member

We plowed for years with 2 wheel drive vehicles, and even still plow with 4x4's in 2 wheel drive. This is in a location that averages 200 inches of snow a year. It works fine, especially for long hauls but as the others posted there are times when the front tires pulling are a real help. In places where you are constantly stopping, changing directions, and manuvering around the 4 wheel drive can be real helpful. 2 wheel drive turns easier, but shifting to 4 wheel when it slips is sure a lot easier than trying to get going again in 2.

Studded tires may cause damage to the lots, chains are even worse. Not letting your tires slip at all is the best way to not damage the lot.