1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2wd 07 dodge 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ACA L&L, Nov 21, 2009.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

we have recently picked up a few more parking lots, with that said we are in need of another plow truck. We typically get 2-3" along with alot of ice melt applications. I am pondering how the dodge 2wd 1500 2007 if/would be able to do light plowing? maybe with alot of ballast and chains? is it possible, do they make a mount for it? Should we just look for a used plow truck? Has anyone ever used a 2wd drive, or heard of anyone trying this. As i go over the accounts they are all flat straight runs, nothing tricky, it would really be nice to throw a plow on it and go but i dont wanna risk our reputation , integrity, safety....please help me out with this. Thanks.

Am i crazy for even thinking about it, i grew up in Indiana and i know my dad had a plow on a chevy 2wd but he was crazy......xysport

2. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

well i searched the net, and looks like the issue is traction, but im also concerned about the front end of the truck getting destroyed along with the tranny burning up. There were lots of stories of people that have and do plow with a 2wd, light duty snow, fresh no slushy messes. Meyer has 6'8" light duty plow called the drive pro, weighs 400 lbs i beleive. Still could use some feedback.

3. me!

me! Member

I don't know about it hurting the truck any more then a 4x4, but i can tell you if its light fluffy snow, you will have no propblem under 4 inches. There have been a few times over the years when someone forgot to ingage the 4 wheel and many lots were plowed that way without a problem.

I have had the 4 wheel not be working during a storm and was fine up to 6 inches, but the problem comes in when you do get a 6 or 8 inch storm is when you need that truck more then ever. so that may not be a good long term plan.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Do not do it. I usually plow in 2wd but i have a salter in the back and I keep good traction plus my tires are awesome, but when you need that 4X4 and you will need it is the best thing ever. Buy a used plow truck and you will be happy in the long run. Keep that truck nice.

5. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

Don"t wast your time.get a 4x4, i have seen people try to plow in 2wd.
    You can plow in 2wd but sooner or latter you will need the 4x4
    to get you out of a mess.

just my 2cents

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

I plow in 2 w.d. untill i have no more traction . i also have 2400 lb. on my back . so yes you can use it up until i'd say 5" of snow . then look into a pair of $100. chains and you can go places . steering may be sloppy , but you can get 'er done.

7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

worst idea i've ever heard

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Really BAD idea.
    Save money and get a 4X4.

9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Thanks guys, we have one dodge 2500 4x4 already set up, i just wanted some feedback on the 2wd. I have found a f 250 01 with a western plow, truck looks to be in great shape other than the usual dings from landscaping. plow is operational and in overall good condition. Its priced to sell at $5600, driving up to colorado on Monday to hopefully buy it. Thanks again for the feedback, i initially said heck no to the idea(plow on 2wd) then my mind got the best of me as i searched for a solution. This will be a long term solution to our dilemma.(f250 plow truck).....thanks fellas, have a good season.

10. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Oh by the way, anyone know of a place online to buy chains for cars and trucks. I have found a few but want a good pair.

11. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

You can plow in 2wd
    but, you will need a 4x4 to get you out of trouble

12. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

nicewesportwesport

13. Deco

Deco Senior Member

cause you've never been in his situation...trash trucks in our municipality are rear wheel drive , no problem there . ballast

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009