1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2nd year plowing, fluid questions ???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Starboyz66FTP, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

i got my plow in january of last year, i did some residential properties, not too many, looking to get more into it this year. i have a 7 1/2 western pro plow. i want to change the hyrolaulic fluid, should i have it done at a dealer or do it my self. i have no manual for the plow, so any help on chaging the fluid

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If your somewhat mechanically inclined, do it yourself. Wait until fall, like mid october or early november (condensation builds up in the tank from the temperature changes and this is what causes freeze up). Go to Westerns site and they will have a viewable mechanics guide for your model plow, just follow the instructions. Yes, you can use ATF, however a plow type fluid is recommended because of its deicing capabilities.

3. chironorm

chironorm Junior Member

also when you change the fluid in the pump take the hoses off of your cylinders that rotate your plow and make sure that you get the fluid out them and the cylinders too. If you just change the fluid in the pump then you're only changing like half of the fluid. If your hoses are looking cracked it might be good to just put new hoses on the plow too. You don't want them to get real cold and bust in the middle of a storm. They're cheap and easy to replace.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you change your hoses keep the old ones in the truck in case one breaks in the middle of the storm. Then I get a new one a put it on and keep the old one again.