1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2nd year looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dpplank, Feb 1, 2011.

1. dpplank

dpplank Junior Member
    from topeka

This is my second year doing snow removal on my own. Worked for a friend for 3 years prior. He hated doing snow so I took over. Started with a single stage toro blower & got addicted to single stage. Bought a yard machine this year. Usually hire my kids & a couple of their high school friends when school is out.Made good money last year, here in Topeka we usually only get less than 6 inches @ a time. It only snows maybe a half a dozen times around here.
    At this time I'm only doing resi driveways & would like to @ least double my accounts & not have to count on hiring othert. I would like to get a plow for next year & double my accounts. I have a 97 F-150 & am thinking of getting a daniels pull plow. I've looked @ the ebling & others along with Hiniker c-plow. My delima is that honestly I dont feel like the truck is big enough for the Hiniker. Second I can put the daniels on just about anything & the price is better until I can get a bigger truck. Any suggestions comments complaints is very much appreciated. I've been reading posts for quite some time but finally decided to join & post my own.

Thanks in advance
  2. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

If you get a pull plow you still need something to push the snow with once you drag it out of the driveway. IMO i would get a 7'6 straight blade, it's easier to use in tight areas around cars esepecially in drives and you can still put wings on it to extend it.
  3. Freebird

Freebird Member

F-150 you need a straight blade, I think a V is going to be too heavy. A rear plow is great to speed up your route, but its not designed as a primary plow.
  4. dpplank

dpplank Junior Member
    from topeka

thanks guys I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck. Arent we all.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

either a front blade or a small skid loader