1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2nd winter on pro-plus...what to do?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dissociative, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

is there a how-to on changing the fluid and flushing out the rams and what ever else i need to do to my new last year pro-plus for this winter?

i hate to say it but i have never done any work to a plow...:(:(:(
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

some plow manufacturers have links on there sites to read the manuals. i know fisher does
  3. Dissociative

just wondering if anyone had some hands on info..
  4. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Funny I was wondering the same thing. Mine too was new last yr and I had about 15 - 20 accts last yr, cant remember how many times I plowed, but I was wondering if I really need to change the fluid this year, especially since I will just be plowing my drive, neighbors and the occasional relative this yr. Any advice would be appreciated. Doesnt look hard to do, unscrew the plug in the bottom of the pump and refill :confused:
  5. Dissociative

i was told to flush the rams and the pump....the fluid absorbs water so it's a good idea to swap it...
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To do a good drain and refill you want to remove the hoses from both the lift cylinder and angle cylinders as well as drain the reservoir to insure your getting as much old fluid out as possible. On a plow that's only a year old it's not usually necessary to remove the reservoir and clean it or the filter. Usually save that for plows two seasons old or more.

But if it is a few seasons old go ahead and remove the reservoir and wipe the inside out, clean the magnet while your in there, and either clean or replace the pickup filter screen. If it's an older Flostat pump- make sure it has the updated pickup/retainer on it. If it doesn't, head over to the dealer and pick one up.

If you want to do an actual flush then you'll either need to purchase extra fluid of whatever type your using to use as a flush, or use Meyer's genuine Hydra-Flush fluid to clean a neglected or very dirty system. Hydra-Flush is one of Meyers' all time best products IMO.

After its completely drained and re-assembled, refill the reservoir with either your flushing fluid or your normal plow oil if your doing a flush.

Now, the part that usually causes guys so much grief is that they do not take the time to get the air out of the system...or they rush the re fill procedure...usually the latter.

After filling to the correct level, fully lift the plow up ONCE....and then angle it fully left and right ONCE. Lower the plow back to the ground, push the lift cyl the rest of the way down...

Now crack the fill cap open (be ready for possible pressure build up) and remove the plug in order to check the fluid level and add as necessary, but also look to see if the fluid is aerated. If it is, let the plow set for a while to allow any air trapped in the fluid to settle out. You can not rush this procedure or you'll only make extra work/mess and/or frustration for yourself. You have to be careful not to over operate the plow while refilling initially because once you aerate the fluid...your done for at least a couple hours until the air settles out of the fluid and no amount of cycling will purge the air...in fact it'll only make it worse.

With the fluid clear operate the plow again once or twice then set it on the ground and push the cylinder down again and re check the fluid. Do this procedure until the fluid level remains consistent and is free of any air bubbles.

If your doing a flush first, it isn't necessary to be concerned with air in the system since you'll simply be draining it after a brief operation anyway. Follow the refill procedure after you do the flush and your ready to do the final fill.

I like to recheck the fluid level one last time after the first full use if I have the oppertunity.
  7. Dissociative

that was damn informative....i can;t think of any more questions i have other than if anyone had pics of where the drain and resi was on a pro-plus..
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Labled and everything. :salute:

Your Pro Plus is a little different in that the reservoir is on top of the motor instead of below it like the Flostat pumps so the pickup retainer info doesn't apply in your application as the retain update only applies to the older Flostats. Just wanted to clarify so there's no confusion.
  9. Dissociative

damn, ...so you wanna come over and do this for me too??? :)

thanks for info...can't wait to tackle this
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Taxi ride's gonna make it cost prohibitive George. :D

P.S. Didn't forget about the wiring diagram either. :salute:
  11. Dissociative

this is gonna keep me busy for a while so it's ok...lol